1991 evinrude 48 special

Does anyone know what would cause a motor to burn up a power pack? Had it in shop a month ago, and they put a new power pack on. Motor had about three hours of run time on it, started acting up again so I took it back and they said it needs another power pack but can't give a good reason why

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 evinrude 48 special

There may be a short of sorts within the ignition switch. To check out that possibility, do the following.

Disconnect the Black/Yellow wire from the powerpack. Attach a volt meter between the engine wiring harness side of that Black/Yellow wire and a powerhead ground (anyplace). Have the meter set so that it will register the slightest bit of voltage. Now, turn the ignition key to the RUN position (engine NOT running).

If the meter registers even a microvolt when you turn that key to the RUN position, the ignition switch is shorted and requires replacing.

Another posibility.... It's possible that the short exists within the wiring harness rather than the switch. To double check the ignition switch.... re-connect the Black/yellow wire to the powerpack, then disconnect the same wire from the ignition switch and check for a short directly between the related "M" terminal and ground when the key is in the RUN position (engine not running).

Any voltage applied to that Black/Yellow wire will destroy the powerpack within a short time.

Another note to keep in mind.... DO NOT EVER connect a ground lead from any other component to the "M" terminals of the ignition switch. Voltage flows thru those components and out thru their normally black ground wire. If any of those wires are connected to the "M" terminals, that voltage will surely find its way to the powerpack.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I strongly suggest you check those areas yourself rather than take someone's word for it.

Sorry for the late reply. Internet been down. Asked them and they said they checked for it back feeding to power pack and it wasn't. Went out Saturday. Ran good first couple of times. Then it got to the hard to start phase. Got it running and headed to ramp. Key or kill switch wouldn't kill it AGAIN. Called shop, said they would fix again under warranty. Gonna do more testing on it. Told them if it needed anything. Key switch, kill switch, wireing between. They were gonna fix for free. This will be the second time takeing it back. (25 miles one way) and one missed bass tournament. Dropping it off tomorrow. Gonna have a come to Jesus meeting

I would mess with it. Was running rough when I bought. Part of the deal was the shop had to fix it. Only reason I'm not messing with it. But I may have to

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone know what would cause a motor to burn up a power pack? Had it in shop a month ago, and they put a new power pack on. Motor had about three hours of run time on it, started acting up again so I took it back and they said it needs another power pack but can't give a good reason why

"New" doesn't necessarily mean "good", especially if they used components made in a country known for cheap workmanship.

The shop ended up replacing some wiring with insulation cut on it. Ran it last two days and so far so good. Thanks for all of your help guys