Engine Dies - 2000 150 Johnson Ocean Runner

PRS24

Recruit
Having a bit of an issue. I bought a 212 Hydra Sport with 2000 Johnson 150 Ocean Runner. The previous owner had only used it 2 times in the last 3 years and had let the tank run nearly dry. I put in fresh fuel, additive and changed the filter (very dirty). I went out a few times before it started to have issues. The boat was a hard start - seemed to be having issues getting fuel. A local mechanic changed the filter, then removed the carbs and cleaned them. A few more trips were fine. I took off the fuel filter - this time, it was clean. I can start it, it runs at idle in the beginning once warm, it gets up and runs at full RPMS as long as I run it. However, when I bring it back down to idle after a long run, it cuts out and will not start again. I changed the filter again, replaced the fuel line and ball (both were hard and brittle). Started great on the ears, then great on an extended hard run followed by a 1/2 hour at 6 knots. Again, I brought it back to idle to dock - it died and would not start.
Please help

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine Dies - 2000 150 Johnson Ocean Runner

Check the spark with an open air gap spark tester set at 7/16 " when it quits and see what you have.