1961 Johnson 40hp. RDSL-23

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi everyone. I have a 1961 Johnson 40hp. RDSL-23 on my 16' aluminum Starcraft. I had it serviced, points re-aligned, carbs cleaned and oil flush, among a few other things included in the service job. The outboard mechanic showed me how great it ran in a tub of water. Choke all the way on. One turn of the key (puff), then walk back to the motor, turn the choke off (electronic choke broken by the way) then one turn of the key again and it starts excellent. Idles awesome and put it in gear and it works perfect. He said it actually runs great and I saw it with my own eyes.
So, for it's maiden voyage with the family, I put it in the water, followed instructions and not a sound of life. So very disappointed. Checked for spark, compression and all is fine. What the heck? Can someone tell me what could be the issue here? This happened within a 8 hrs window with out any modifications besides my our tank and gas moisture. BTW, I used my own gas and hose and may have initially flooded it but even the next day it wouldn't work. Mixture 50:1. 6 gallon(24l) tank I used just over 200 ml of 2 stroke oil. When I tried to pump the gas in to it for the first time it seemed like it wasn't going in but eventually, the bulb got hard (meaning gas was getting to the motor). Please help.

Thanks in advance. Chris

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 Johnson 40hp. RDSL-23

Im not understanding fully. Was it trying to start or was it just dead?

Willyclay

Captain

Mixture 50:1. 6 gallon(24l) tank I used just over 200 ml of 2 stroke oil.

While it has nothing to do with your immediate issue, I believe the correct fuel/oil mixture ratio for that motor is 24:1. Good luck!

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

need a bit more info, on what was happening, engine pulls over but wont start? engine wont pull over at all locked up? engine pulls over sputters then dies? engine starts but dies when put in gear? give us a rundown such as engine pulls over fine, but feels like it does not fire at all, or on the 4th pull engine sputtered but won't catch and start etc. don't need a book just the basics of what is happening.

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi guys. There was not a puff of life. Engine turned over fine but not spit or sputter of life.

Now on a good note, I brought it back to the service guy this morning and he noticed the choke was not fully closing due an opstruction. Fixed it and it runs great. Had it out this morning for about 10 minutes. (didn't have much time) and it runs great.

Commander, how can we confirm the oil gas mixture? I was informed it was 50-1. Thanks guys, Chris

Willyclay

Captain

Commander, how can we confirm the oil gas mixture? I was informed it was 50-1.

Great news! Glad to hear you got it running. FYI, the hot water actuated choke on that model is infamous for being unreliable. Many members recommend manually moving the choke lever to the "RUN" position after you get it started and warmed-up. BTDT

The link below will get you to a thread in the FAQ's by forum member Chinewalker regarding fuel/oil mixtures. When he posts, I pay attention.

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...-oil-mix-most-motors-covered-here-158072.html

Page 81 in the factory manual at the link below. Best I can offer. Good luck!

http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html#/0

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Another link right from BRP.

FAQ | Evinrude Canada

Extra oil will not hurt your motor. Lack there of will. I use a quality synthetic oil. Little smoke, little smell, and my motors are protected. The oils of today are much better, which is why plug fouling is not a common a problem as it used to be.

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great news! Glad to hear you got it running. FYI, the hot water actuated choke on that model is infamous for being unreliable. Many members recommend manually moving the choke lever to the "RUN" position after you get it started and warmed-up. BTDT

The link below will get you to a thread in the FAQ's by forum member Chinewalker regarding fuel/oil mixtures. When he posts, I pay attention.

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...-oil-mix-most-motors-covered-here-158072.html

Boatinfo - 1922-1964 Johnson Service Manual

Thanks Commander. The choke operation for me on this motor is all manual for me. It's the way I received it, with the electronic choke half busted off. Only when it's cold, I have to walk back to the motor, close the choke, turn it over. Then walk back again, open the choke and bam, it starts easily. While warm it starts with the first touch of the key.

You mentioned "Many members recommend manually moving the choke lever to the "RUN". From the motor itself, it reads for me, ON, Automatic and OFF. It's always left OFF when warm. (i think i got that right).

I had it running yesterday evening in a barrel of water and it seems to run pretty smooth, although I noticed it wasn't spitting alot of water. I will keep a close eye on this. Chris

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another link right from BRP.

FAQ | Evinrude Canada

Extra oil will not hurt your motor. Lack there of will. I use a quality synthetic oil. Little smoke, little smell, and my motors are protected. The oils of today are much better, which is why plug fouling is not a common a problem as it used to be.

Hi Admiral. What kind of oil are you using? Just any synthetic outboard oil? Chris

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boatinfo - 1922-1964 Johnson Service Manual

Hi again. The 1st link, he recommends 40-1 misture and the 2nd link the manual publishes a 24-1 mixture. I was using a 50-1 ratio. I think I'll bring it down to 24-1 as the manual post. Also, thanks for the Johnson/Evinrude manual link. Chris

Willyclay

Captain

Thanks Commander. The choke operation for me on this motor is all manual for me. It's the way I received it, with the electronic choke half busted off. Only when it's cold, I have to walk back to the motor, close the choke, turn it over. Then walk back again, open the choke and bam, it starts easily. While warm it starts with the first touch of the key.

Sorry for any confusion I may have created regarding the choke arrangement. The electric solenoid version is much preferred over the hot water style and it's probably something to consider repairing/replacing in the future although your description makes the motor sound like it is in very good shape after 50+ years. The fuel/oil mixture info is just info and you will have to decide how you want to handle the issue after receiving input from forum members and other sources. Good luck!