115 hp evinrude OceanPro 1996 v4 looper coughs and stalls in neutral

whisky

Cadet
Runs great in gear above 2000 rpm or so. While not in gear or low rpm in gear, coughs about every 10 seconds and stalls once in a while. Idles at 900 in gear...

Recorded a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0ccpU2e4Z4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
And a longer one including starting it (already warmed up) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9qQc-fRmw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cleaned and rebuilt carbs, new vro, new powerpack, new optical sensor, new thermostats, plugs and filters... stalls if i try to prime it or pump the primer bulb. Already asked the marine doctor, but I see there are a lot of experience here too. I am stuck, what to do now...

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 115 hp evinrude OceanPro 1996 v4 looper coughs and stalls in neutral

This is what we call the lean sneeze. Double check your carbs are good and in sync.

whisky

Cadet

Yes that is what I thought it was also, perhaps I should pull the throttle bodies, don't think my mechanic did that when he rebuilt the carbs

whisky

Cadet

Tried to push the butterflies to make sure they are seated, no luck, guess I`ll pull the carbs again, or is there something worth checking before I start that, the boat is on the water and I have no means of getting it up without paying someone to do it ... so I will have to do it off the aft of the boat which kind of sucks

What about the reed valves, could an issue there cause it to behave like that? Someone else suggested to check the top seal, wherever that is..?!

NHStriper

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same issue on my 1999 200hp Johnson and just started a thread on it yesterday but have had no response yet. I plan to do a link&sync and adjust each carb. I replaced all the fuel lines and connections from the fuel pump to my fuel tank this winter in hopes to eliminate an air leak somewhere. It seemed to improve as before I remember having it sneeze every 30 seconds, now its probably every couple minutes or so. Good luck! I'll keep an eye on your thread.

whisky

Cadet

Tried covering one by one throat to seebif that helped (tip from the marine doctor), only thing happened was that it instantly stalled, next thing he said to try try is to unplug one cylinder at a time and see if that removes the pop, grounding the leads. I guess if so, I will pull that cylinders carb and reclean it

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

before you pull the carbs do this: carefully and slowly ( with the motor off!!) turn in the idle mixture screws , counting the turns until the needle seats. make a note of the turns. Then unscrew them 5-3/4 turns. do all them and see there is a large difference...or it fixes the issue.. that's the setting for a 1997 115 ocean runner-pro. this setting is markedly different than that of the same motor for 1995...so it is possible the mechanic just thought they were all the same intial setting...bob

whisky

Cadet

Thanks I will surely look into that. Raining like crazy here in Oslo today, but forecast looks good for tomorrow and it's a national holiday so I will have a go and try everything I have learnt then. Will let you know how it went.

whisky

Cadet

Tried removing spark leads one by one, but could not get rid of the pop. Sprayed carb cleaner all over the place and into the intemediary orifices ... and around the needle valve adjustment. Then tried turning the adjustment screws in, then 5 3/4 times out (according to the seloc manual). They were originally set to 7 times out. Could not start the motor after that, so I adjusted them back out to 7 turns out.

Then the engine idled fine for like 5 minutes at 1000 rpm after that so I thought I coud go fishing for a while there..... but no., increasing rpm with the fast idle lever to 1500 made the pop come back... and when I retried it a while later, the pop was back at 1000 rpms also... and keeps stalling.

So now what to do?

whisky

Cadet

Looks like the idle is much better since adjusting the idle mixture. Not 100 percent though... but I can live with it.

Now I need to figure out why it has started instantly stalling every timeit reach 2000 while in gear. Can rev it fine in neutral. It was ok before I started messing with it. So what may have caused it? Can the idle mixture cause this? Or the spark gap, or is it because the gas tank now is full... vacuum issue?! What really sucks is that there are no free mechanics around here the next month or so, and the weather is great.

jbwilli

Cadet

Seems you have checked all the right items.
I would investigate one of the first issues you mentioned...coughs/misses when you pump the primer bulb.
You may have a tiny crack/air leak there or in the hoses nearby which would lean your mixture. Does the bulb get rock hard when you pump it? With a helper, CAREFULLY disconnect the fuel line down stream of the bulb, open the fuel cap and drain some fuel into a safe container to see if you have a good fuel flow. Is the fuel clean? Hope this may help!