1962 johnson 10 hp

cheetto

Recruit
I just purchased a 1962 Johnson 10 HP. I rebuilt the car and after running it in a tub of water for approx. 10 min. There is a grayish oily fluid inside Carb and in the tube. What could be that cause?

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1962 johnson 10 hp

Might have been old gas that was in the fuel line from the tank, may need to flush the fuel line out by pressing the valve on the connector open and pumping the primer bulb.
Doug

cheetto

Recruit

Have a new tank and lines with freshly mixed fubeel 50 tCo 1. Could a head gasket cause this? How could water be coming through the Carb from the lower unit?

kfa4303

Banned

HI cheeto. Welcome to iboats. There's really no way for water to come through the carb. Unless you're getting water in the power head, in which case the motor probably wouldn't run. The test tank water, however, will become very greyish/yuky after running the motor in it for a while, which is perfectly normal. You can certainly remove the head and replace the head gasket, but I would simply test the compression first. If it's over 80psi and both cylinders are within 10% of each other, the head gasket is probably ok. Make sure that the vent on the gas tank is open and that you're running 24:1 mix, rather than 50:1. You should also use Champion J4C plugs. Here's a great link that can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom. You can get any routine parts you may need right here at iboats.

Johnson

1962 Johnson QD-23 10 hp Outboard Motor Parts