1981 Johnson/Evinrude Control (Shift) Box Handle - Throttle play

MartyTn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Throttle Control Box ('81 OMC) shifts fine into and out of forward/neutral/reverse, however, the throttle lever on the control box must be advanced an additional couple inches before the throttle cable begins to move at the engine end. The fast idle lever has the same play.

I would like to remove this play if possible. Is there a way to adjust throttle play in the OMC control box of this vintage (or could cable wear account for this large amount of play) ?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1981 Johnson/Evinrude Control (Shift) Box Handle - Throttle play

It could be something worn in the control box or a badly worn throttle cable. The cables have done this before.

MartyTn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Boobie, I also found someone on another forum describing exactly the same problem with his '82 Evinrude 50 HP (mine is '81 Evinrude 50 HP). The fellow took apart his remote control and found the "Shift Lockout" part in the remote control box to be worn out. This is a $30 part in stock at MarineEngine.com.

I'll attempt to go in this weekend to see if it's the cable or a part or both. QUESTION - on this remote control can I remove the cover and have the box still operational, or will parts fly everywhere if I try that? I've only messed with older Merc remote controls before. Sorry if that is a dumb question.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Post a pic of your control, as there are different ones.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You'll have to remove the control from the side of the boat and then split it to work on it.

MartyTn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks boobie, I'll proceed slowly. I knew I'd need to remove the unit from the mount, but I wondered if it was under spring pressure when removing the cover. I'll make sure to have the manuals handy and I'll try to put a towel over the unit cover when removing cover, so if parts do try to fly they won't be able to go too far. I also found another diagram that shows a throttle lever roller that rolls in that cam that could also be worn.