Johnson 9.5 Shifting issues (With Video!)

plav77

Cadet
When I got this motor the guy told me that it popped out of Forward gear very easily.
I did a video below showing how easy it pops out and also doesn't seem to "click" into gear like Reverse does.
Any help on what the issue might be would be greatly appreciated!

1968 Johnson 9.5 Shifting issues - YouTube

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Johnson 9.5 Shifting issues (With Video!)

bad way to test!! try rotating the prop ( plug wires disconnected!!) until it engages in fwd. you still may have a clutch dog issue if it jumps out of gear while running tho.

plav77

Cadet

Ahh thanks you.
After rotating the prop (wires unplugged) it popped into gear.
Will take it out this weekend and see how it goes!

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The reason it does not want to go into one or both of the gears when the motor is not running is that the clutch dogs have to engage into matching recesses in the forward or reverse gears. If everything is not exact when the motor is not turnign over, you will experience this issue.

The easiest way to get it to engage into either gear, is just pull on the starter rope while lightly trying to engage the shift lever.

Rick.

Captain

great advice above. I'm being fussy but your shift lever is a bit out of alignment IMO. It has no affect on the operation but it should be a little higher. Easy to adjust if you look just inside the cowl and wiggle the lever you will see where to adjust (or not). Great motor you have there. Best of luck. Rick.

plav77

Cadet

Thank you both.
Pulling the starter roped worked great.
I agree the alignment was out, made some adjustments and looks better now.
Will be taking it on the lake for a run today......see how she does!