2003 Johnson 90 - Decision Time

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
As some of you know, I have been rebuilding my older McKee Craft. I have been De-Mercurying the hull, and gearing up for a new to-me Johnson 90 with very low hours. Finally, I am ready to install the motor this weekend; however, I have a decision to make.

Do I rig for the oil injection or eliminate it all together? Everything looks like brand new...including the oil tank, hoses, fittings etc.. I would love to use the Oil Injection, but I am not sure if Bombardier had issues withtheir system or not.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: 2003 Johnson 90 - Decision Time

i dont know if bomb had any real issues with oil inj at that point in time,i know much earlier with vro there were some issues but that was a long time ago.id leave it on ,why go to the bother of mixing if the motor wants to do it for you?

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd keep it on. Run 50:1 mix fuel until you verify the VRO is working. Just monitor oil tank level to see if it's drawing oil from the tank. The extra oil in the gas won't hurt it, actually a factory procedure for anytime the VRO has been worked on.

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I disconnected mine as part of a troubleshooting session a few seasons ago. 2005 90hp Johnson carbed two stroke. Turned out I had a bad piston in the fuel pump. Mechanic was able to rebuild that side of the pump and I never hooked the oiler side back up again - I just pre-mix.

However, it is easy for me to premix because I carry all of my fuel to the boat in 6 gallon portable containers. I agree with 82rude above that most of the VRO issues were known for earlier models, and that the system on the newer models is pretty well tested as being reliable. I'd leave it hooked up if you determine it is working fine...

Dave