1988 Johnson 88 Lower unit water Leak

zolkat

Cadet
Hi folks i,m still trying to put my puzzle together one piece at a time, I came across this picture today of a lower end water leak, My engine does the same thing when i use the ear muffs. I checked the parts list and it shows no gasket, I replaced t-stats cleaned water jackets, Rebuilt water pump, It leaks all around the bottom not just in one place like in this picture.. Thanks for any help. http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54934&d=1275323704

thesignguy

Seaman
Re: 1988 Johnson 88 Lower unit water Leak

I am no expert but it looks normal. I just ran my 1988 88SPL on the muffs tonight and it had water coming out of several holes. I'll need to get my carbs back on tomorrow and I'll try to add a picture of what mine looks like.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

where the stream of water is coming out is not normal but there is no gasket for that location. The leak looks like it is from corrosion at the joint. shouldnt hurt anything though.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

So long as you are getting good flow from the telltale which shows that the water pump outlet tube is inserted properly into the midsection, then its just an imperfection as the others have said

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good to know. I just searched for this as mine leaks on muffs too. I will clean up the mating surface next time the pump needs love.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
This post is over a year old. Please read the rules at the top of the forum and start a new one !!!!