Johnson 2.3Hp (HJ2RESS) Main Bearing Replacement

cbjroms

Recruit
My 2.3Hp Johnson is producing a huge amount of main bearing noise and I have been told that they are easy to replace.

Plenty of experience messing around with car engines but never tackled an outboard before.

I have been trying to find some information on the internet about stripping down the engine but cannot find anything relevant. Could someobody out there give me a few tips?

I am guessing I undo the six heads underneath the engine and remove the powerpack complete? Then pull-off the flywheel and spilt the crankcase. Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Chris

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Johnson 2.3Hp (HJ2RESS) Main Bearing Replacement

Yep thats it.
Careful with those heads bolts under the powerhead as if they are seized they can lose their heads really quick
Change the lower crank seal while you are there too
Keep an eye out that the flywheel woodruff key doesnt get lost too

cbjroms

Recruit

Any tips for getting the head bolts out without any damage? Should I get the engine hot first?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I suppose you could get the engine hot to help
I get bolts hot (with propane torch) but not very hot then allow to cool a bit, then i give it a little rap with a hammer,,then i heat the aluminum casing a bit then a little touch of righty tighty on the bolt. Then back it out a touch,alternating with tighten a touch until its out, if it isnt a salty it shouldnt be too bad

Bosunsmate

Admiral

You ca also try get pb blaster or another penetrant fluid in under the bolts with it hanging upside down

cbjroms

Recruit

Thanks Bosunsmate - help really appreciated.

Powerpack is now apart and one of the bearings is very rusty. But both are a very tight fit on the crankshaft - how do I get them off?

Thanks

Chris

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Try heat.
Bearing puller.
Check theres no split pin holding them on too

cbjroms

Recruit

All apart and replacement parts sourced.

What is the toque to which the crankcase booths need to be tightened? Also the toque for the power head to base leg?

Many thanks