johnson overheat issue.

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 99 johnson 150 jl150plees that is overheating. I have an alarm going off and I have installed temp gauges and they are both going past 220 I shut it off at 200 I also installed new temp sensors and t stats. At idle I have minimal water pressure when I hit the throttle it will jump to 19-20 but 2-3 psi at idle.. How would I test a water pump or should I just replace it.

Problem is the previous owner used the boat while it was like this!! He had no gauges heat alarm constant, no way of knowing what the temp was and continued to use the boat like this! He said maybe ten minutes of wot. 5 minutes of idle and I shut it down. I don't understand some people. Anyway it starts right up but just will not cool.

How do I test for any damage he may have done to the engine? compression test? He told me he had one done when he bought it and it was within a few pounds but that is before he ran it while it was over heating. And I never saw any paper work. And he got the boat while it was like this he didn't perform any repairs.

He gave me a guarantee on the boat that runs out today and said he would pay for any repairs. Will it need a complete rebore and new pistons?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: johnson overheat issue.

Do a compression test (compression testers are normally only about fifteen dollars)and change the water pumps impeller.
Bad boating on his part but at least hes honest

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: johnson overheat issue.

for sure. he's working with me and said he would put 2000 into it. I am just going to take it into a guy and have him rip into it. It starts right up so I think if it over heated too much it wouldn't want to start up at all.