98 evinrude ficht 115

jason011

Seaman
i just got this motor the other day, the previous owner has an inline fuel pump hooked up to it, he said it was hard to start so he put that on there to start it and once it gets up on plane he shuts it off ( it has a toggle switch on the dash to control it ) when i take the engine cover off and turn the key to the "on" position shouldnt i be able to hear the motors fuel pump run? all i can hear is a " click click" then its quiet, i figured i should be able to hear the pump run for a second or two but just that little click and then nothing, any help would be greatly appreciated before i take it to the dealer and spend a small fortune on it

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 98 evinrude ficht 115

Could be the high pressure pump is bad or not being activeated by the EMM.

jason011

Seaman

shouldnt i be able to hear the pump running when i turn the key to the on position?

jason011

Seaman

ok thanks, i have the twin to this motor also, ill check to see if i can hear the pump on it, i hope thats what it is, i bought this motor before i realized how expensive parts were for them and that not just anyone can work on them..... my mistake thanks again

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you key "on" you should hear the high pressure pump run for 10 seconds. The guy who sold you the boat did a bad job of fixing the problem, which actually sounds as if you are hearing the main relay (click click) and then not hearing the fuel pump.

Simple test. Put 12 volts with jumper wires to the the two wire connector that you have on the fuel pump. If it powers up. Check the continuity of the wire to the EMM (it controls the ground on the pump). Continuity, then check power to the pump from the PDP. You will need the diagrams for this engine to do this. Look carefully at all connections. I have had the same problem with engines, where the inline fuse was corroded and hit or miss.

Don't run the engine with his bodge job inline fuel pump. There are a lot of blown up fichts, you could probably pick up a working pump cheap if you need one.

jason011

Seaman

thanks for the reply, i have got the pump working, i took it out a couple days ago to try it, it statred up no problem, it didnt sound like it was running too bad however when i started to give it throttle, it would start to pick up, then it would sputter out and stall, it did this for about 20 mins, then became very hard to start and would only run for about 15 seconds then stall, i am thinking its still a fuel problem, im going to take the filter apart and clean it to see if its dirty or not, im thinking its either a dirty filter, not enough fuel pressure or a bad injector! does anyone know how much fuel pressure this motor should have? and i was told that if i start swapping parts i need to take the motor to a dealer to have the computer reset????? this motor is starting to be a pain in the ***!!!!!! if i have to take it to the dealer every time i change a part, this might get very costly!!!!

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have a pressure gauge hook it up to the fuel pump. You will probably need a special tool to get a fuel pump reading, unless there is a fitting on your pump. (it is a shrader valve). The fuel pump pressure should be constant 20 to 30 psi.

If you change injectors for any reason, you will need to put there proper compensation files into the computer for the location they are at, ie: #1 cylinder. You would need the injector file for the injector that replaces any injector. If they are new no problem. If they are used, you are out of luck.

These engines are not suited to shade tree mechanics (no offence meant :) ) Yes, they are costly.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would take it to the shop. They have the software to check the injectors, look for codes. It doesn't sound as if you have the tools to do thisl

jason011

Seaman

the local omc dealer told me to throw it out, they wont even look at it, told me they were trash from day one

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Find another dlr. I've worked on them and they're not that bad if you understand them.