Problems with 1980 115 hp evinrude E115tlcsa

meteoro

Recruit
Hi. I?m new on the forum, And must congratulate you all.

I am from Argentina and I?m havimg problems with my Evinrude 115 from 1980.

The engine used to run good, but suddenly no matter if it?s cold or warm it stars causing trouble.
The engine starts always and sounds good, does not have battery problems. The sparks are almost new.

Example: I?m running at 4000 to 4500 rpm (max 5000 to 5200), and suddenly it starts to loose power. And at full throtle it only climbs to 3000 - 3200 rpm and it sounds as if it is running in 2 or 3 cilinders.

At that point I put the engine at 1000 - 1400 rpm for a while, and then give full throtle, and nothig for some times.

All of a sudden when the rpm are climbing to 3000 I feel like a booster on my back and the engine sound perfect again a the rpm climb to 5000 as if nothing happens!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don?t know what to do or where to start looking for the cause of the problem. Any ideas will help me to find a solution to the problem.

thank you,
Meteoro

ps: electrical diagram of my engine is welcome.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Problems with 1980 115 hp evinrude E115tlcsa

This can be fuel related, use a external tank elevate the tank at lease level or higher than the engine and test. The process of isolation starts with the simple things you can do, testing for fuel restriction is easy. You can then move on to electrical. JM2C

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

This can be fuel related, use a external tank elevate the tank at lease level or higher than the engine and test. The process of isolation starts with the simple things you can do, testing for fuel restriction is easy. You can then move on to electrical. JM2C

meteoro

Recruit

Finally the problem was a powerpack!!!!!!!!!! I replaced it and everything was ok.

Now I have another problem that I know where it is but want to know how to fix it correctly.

The yellow with red stripe wire that goes fron the ignition switch to the neutral start switch and to the starter solenoid is partially cut and i have to replace it.

I need to know the specifications of that wire: diameter, awg, gauge, volts, etc, so as to replace it.

Thank you.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Its the same diameter as all the other wires out of the switch, itl be 12v. No need to get too fussy about it i would say.
If you can get marine tinned wire you will of done a better quality job.
I wonder why it was cut

Congrats on fixing initial problem

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you replace this wire use some heat shrink butt connectors.

meteoro

Recruit

The motor wiring harness is not that good. Is the original one and has 34 years, and in my opinion that engine used to have temperature problems. Apart from that the people that worked on the engine before me did a disaster that I?m trying to fix.

the red plug has a by-pass in two cables. I think one is the yellow and red cable, and the other may be the black or black and yellow that goes to the kill switch.

The problem is that I live in Argentina and I have no chance to get an original wire harness or a CDI wiring harness, so I have to fix the cables that have problems one by one. To make matters worse I can?t get a marine cable to do a right job, that?s why I?m asking for the specifications of the cables.

I do also want to replace the red plug but nobody knows what to use to replace it.

ok, all the wires will have heat shrink butt connectors.

People tell me not to solder the cables of the wiring harness is that ok?????

thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The big red plug is just a " factory convenience item "-----------You can cut both red plugs off and put all the wires on a terminal strip.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you solder a wire or a terminal the wire gets brittle and can break easier from the vibration that a boat has.