1973 Johnson 65 hp loss of power/weak in the water

blugrasmaniac

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1973 Johnson 65 hp that I've been trying to get running right, and I'm not sure what the issue is. I thought I'd post on here to see if anyone has any input, but also, I thought it would be good to provide a thread where I can post the updates and results.

I replaced the main gas line, fittings, and bulb; cleaned out the gas tank; and installed a filter for good measure. All three carbs were recently rebuilt by a shop, and none of this made any real difference, except it runs more reliably now.

The thing is, it runs perfectly on water muffs - idles well, accelerates with no hesitation. It's when I put it in actual water that the issue occurs.

It has no power on the lake whatsoever. It is on a 17' old fiberglass bass boat, and it won't consistently get the boat on a plane. It tops out at 10-12 mph, and if it does get on a plane, it will top out at about 20mph. Doesn't seem right for a 65 hp.

While at WOT, if I blip the choke, it instantly bogs down, so I don't think it's too lean. However, when idling around, if the idle gets a little too slow, I have to blip the choke every few seconds to keep it running.

I checked the compression a while back, but don't remember the numbers. It was ok, though and consistent between cylinders.

After reading a lot, it seems that the stator and/or power pack may be the case. I checked the spark in the past, but it was a crude test - maybe I should get a real spark-tester and check that.

Regardless, I have a new power pack and (used) stator on the way. We'll see what the difference is after I swap these out.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Johnson 65 hp loss of power/weak in the water

ditto on spark. you could remove your plugs and look at them. maybe while on the lake try pumping your primer bulb. also, look to see if your advance arm is turning under the flywheel.

blugrasmaniac

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1973 Johnson 65 hp loss of power/weak in the water

I did check the bulb while at WOT, and it was pretty firm. I squeezed it a couple of times, but didn't make a difference. I thought that might have a similar impact as blip'ing the choke, but it didn't speed up or slow down.

The stator has melted quite a bit - epoxy-like resin has ran down and hardened in multiple places.