1996 Johnson Faststrike stalling when put in gear

brh729

Recruit
I have 1996 Johnson 150 fast strike . I took it out the other day and it was running fine I stopped and fished for an hour or so and when I started to leave it would bog down and stall every time I put it in gear. It would restart over and over with no problem it would just stall when put in gear. I checked the ball and it was tight. So I put in the shop the mechanic said the only thing he could find was it had the wrong plugs and he adjusted the carbs. I got it back yesterday and took it out I purposely tried to get it to repeat with no luck. Then when I started to leave it started doing it again. It takes gas and will rev up fine when its not in gear. Any ideas?

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1996 Johnson Faststrike stalling when put in gear

brh729, my 98' J150 does the same thing. I will get it going by quickly shifting and accelerating at about mid-range rpm's for a few minutes. That seems to temporarily solve the problem until I shut it down and sit for a while.
Do you tilt your motor up when you are at rest?
It may be eccessive fuel and/or oil accumulating in the carbs or a sticky choke linkage.
OutOfControl

brh729

Recruit

no I keep it down it is almost like it is starving for fuel when in gear. not in gear it runs great. I will try cleaning the choke.

bfmiller

Cadet

I am having same problem but mine is a 1975 evinrude 115hp. Did you ever figure this thing out?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You have a shift interrupt switch witch will drop spark on #1 3 5 cylinders and will aid in coming out of gear. If it has failed this could be the issue. Have your shop take a look at it. You speak of your choke, you can try pushing the choke on when you accelerate.