Removing a Tiller handle - Johnson 9.9

Putzaroni1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a fair bit of play in the tiller handle so I would like to remove the bolt that connects it to the motor but while the nut spins freely the bolt head is close to striping so I'd rather ask than to move forward with this and end up having to cut it out.

To remove the bolt that holds the tiller handle on, it looks like it's not threaded where it meets the motor. What is the best way to get this bolt out ? Should I help it by getting a punch or something on it and knock it out or should it just back it's way out ? I've soaked it with penetrating oil now but it just barely moves when I put the socket on it.

Thanks for all your experience and advice !

Also the tilt pin (newer style) won't come out. I think it's seized. The plastic clip has broken off but I still can't get it out. I'm guessing that's a matter of putting something on one end and banging it out with a hammer. Any thoughts or suggestions on this too would be much appreciated......

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removing a Tiller handle - Johnson 9.9

you are dealing with corroded parts, a bit of heat from a propane torch may be helpful, also wire brush and clean things up a bit. a tappered punch with blunt flat end can be used to facilitate in the removal of the bolt, nice hard rapps with a hammer wile at the same time trying to turn the bolt, go slow use small amounts of heat and large amounts of patients and you will get'er

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We need to know the year or model of your motor as there were numerous changes made from 1974 to 2005

Putzaroni1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It turns out this is a 15 hp Evinrude not a 9.9 Johnson. They are the same configuration though.
The model is E15RCRM. I'll try to upload 2 pictures. Everything soaked in Move-It penetrating oil last night but the bolt head is stripped enough that I can't get a 3/8ths socket to bite. I'm wondering if I'm going to need to cut it off with my Dremel and buy another. If there is a way to get this off though, I'd appreciate it as it looks like these are $25 from OMC for a bolt !

The nut moves freely but you can't get it off because the tiller gears are in the way and I tried putting a punch on it and tapping it out but it won't budge. If I raise and lower the handle the bolt seems to move back and forth.

I don't get it....
Evinrude15hp 001.jpgEvinrude15hp 002.jpg

Rick.

Captain

It has been a while but if my memory serves correct the tiler arm is threaded and the nut is a lock nut. You won't be able to tap it out without buggering threads. Nor would you be able to turn it out by cutting it with a dremel. Some how you need to get a hold of the bolt head and turn it out. I know it's a bad spot and the bolt head looks like a challenge. Hopefully someone will either confirm or deny what I'm telling you. Best of luck. Rick.

Putzaroni1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was finally able to get the tool I thought would work for this (always good when you need new tools !)
I used an Irwin Bolt-Grip. While I'm sure the old mechanics in the crowd know tricks they could have done without needing to buy a new tool but it was a $38 investment for me. I grabbed an extension and a 3/8s drive ratchet, gave it a go and it was out in about a minute.
Rick, you were correct that the bolt is threaded into the tiller handle.

Now I just need to find a way to be able to tighten it as the head is mutched....
Thanks for the help again !