synthetic 2 stroke oil.

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 99 johnson 150 and I mix the fuel at 50:1 my question is I have a few bottles of this bel-ray 2 stroke synthetic oil that I mixed for a bike I used to have i am thinking about using this in my outboard fuel is this a good idea? This is high anti wear and says for all 2 stroke applications. i hear these loopers will turn 6000 rpm and I have a foot throttle so I think the rpms will be up and down a lot and this oil is really good oil. I haven't run this boat and it came with half a bottle of amsoil but i have three bottles of this bel-ray.... let me know what you think

20130427_223024.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: synthetic 2 stroke oil.

Exactly what Lightning1 said.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: synthetic 2 stroke oil.

TC-W3 is a NMMA rating for oil. TC=two cycle, W= water cooled 3=third version. Because water cooled 2 strokes run at much lower temps than air cooled 2 strokes It is specified by most water cooled outboard manufacturers.

I have tried to run a chainsaw on outboard oil (TC-W3) resulting in the premature death of the chainsaw. That experience convinced me that the needs of air cooled and water cooled 2 strokes are very different. I would only use oil specified by the engine maker. I take with a grain of salt claims by the oil maker, only the NMMA use rating.