1999 Johnson 130hp forward/reverse issue?

thyNemesis

Seaman
I'm about to have my maiden voyage with my recently purchased used boat, finally have all the minor issues attened too,
So, the night before launch day I started the engine up, let it warm up a bit and want to verify the prop would spin before hiiting the water, now I know you are no suppose to spin the prop when it's not in a tank of water or other methods for testing prop rotation, however, I throttled it up slowly and the prop would spin only so very,very slowly and I was at 3100rpm, is this the norm? I heard no clunk and I even tried to shift the throttle control arm when the engine was off and I didn't see the other cable end at the motor move at all.

There is a detent button right next to the gear shift level, Am I suppose to press this while moving the throttle level forward/reverse to engage the shift fork? I thought this detent button was suppose to prevent accidental shift of the throttle, i.e push in detent button, push throttle forward, boat go fast, same for reverse.

Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1999 Johnson 130hp forward/reverse issue?

That button allows you to rev the motor up a little without putting it in gear.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

in other words if you want to rev up your motor without shifting you would push the button in with your left thumb and move the throttle with your right hand.
1. maybe this button is jambed on the in position, it's probably got a little spring in there...
2. Problem is probably in your remote control set up, take it apart and make sure its pulling pushing the cables.
also, once working you can shift without motor running(be careful, motor down, don't force anything, and spin the prop a little if it's sticky) go back to the prop and see if it's in gear by turning it, note: works for neutral too. Note: hidden allen set screw on throttle shifter hard to find. Note: position of shifter good luck

thyNemesis

Seaman

Well, Just back from my maiden voyage! Left the dock and returned to the dock under my own power!

Shifting was kind of ok, It went forward and backwards, however. It seemed as though once you had it in forward and backed off into neutral and back into the forward position was easy, but once you put it into reverse and tried to go back into forward was very hard to shift. Same thing if you had it in reverse and went into neutral and back into reverse was easy. So, it seems that there is a slight problem somewhere, perhaps I need to lube something somewhere...

Thanks for the input fellas.