1964 Johnson 40 HP Electramatic Super Sea Horse RK-24L Need to fix lower unit

kirstiek86

Recruit
Okay so we bought this boat as a fixer upper and as it stands it has been setting around going to waste. I want to put it back together but I have no Idea what I'm doing...

When we bought it the lower end of the motor was removed and sets in peices in a tub because it was locked up...

Other than taking it to a mechanic and spending every last time dime I have, is there someway someone could explain it to me on how to put it back together... I'm at my breaking point of junking this boat and cutting my losses.

Is it going to be easier to buy a new motor all together or just taking it to a mechanic and having it fixed or is it something a newbie to boats could possibly do?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 Johnson 40 HP Electramatic Super Sea Horse RK-24L Need to fix lower unit

Ill be honest. That gearcase in NOT one to practise on. They are troublesome even to experienced tinkerers and mechanics alike. Even young mechanics would not have a clue what is going on in there. You would need a seasoned mechanic like F_R on this forum to help you. Certain parts can be expensive to replace, which is why it likely got torn apart and left in the first place.

I would look for a cheap, mechanical shift 40hp OMC. They are much easier to work on, parts are less, and willl save you many headaches and money in the long run. Just my 2 cents. They are extremely plentiful, and cheap. I personally have a whack of em Id love to get rid of, my back hurts just looking at them.