71 evinrude fisherman stops after running 5 to 10 minutes

rodge

Cadet
Hi there,

I seem to have difficulties fixing my evinrude 71 6h fisherman.

What I did:
- new spark plugs
- Cleaner the enige head
- Cleaned and checked the thermostat (It opens an closes in hot/cold water)
- Checked the fuel lines

I checked if the fuel pump and it seems to be pushing out some fuel. Not a lot but I have no clue how much fuel should be pouring out while running (I managed to let it run without the hose attached for a few seconds to check)

What's next? it seems to be running fine and then ....over.. it stops

cheers,
rodge

Last edited:

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 71 evinrude fisherman stops after running 5 to 10 minutes

Try putting your fuel tank up on a stool or something to get it closer to the height of the motor. A fuel pump that size will only lift fuel about 24" and it looks like you have more than that. Also check the vent on the tank. It's got to be open.

rodge

Cadet

Vent is open. And I do not think it's the hight.. in the boat the issue was the same and still the engine stopped after a few minutes. Can it de the coils or the impeller?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Coils will quit when they get warmed up. After it's run for a few minutes, can you touch the head of the motor for a 3 count without burning yourself? If not, it's probably running a little hot and that could shut it down.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Seems like you are trying this and that and guessing - - try troubleshooting - - like is it getting hot? - - do I have spark? - - compression? - - - air in the fuel lines? etc.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi rodge. Glad the motor is running and pumping water. However, the idle is WAY too high and I would add about and inch or two sf water to the test tank. That little motor should idle down like a sewing machine. I suspect that the reason its dying after a few minutes is that an ignition component, such as the coil, is failing. The only way to be sure is to pull the flywheel and inspect it visually. The link below can walk you through the job and you can get any parts right here at iboats.

Johnson
1971 Johnson Evinrude 6 hp Outboard Parts by Model Number (click on your model for parts catalog)