im about to tear my hair out.

saucey nugget

Recruit
I i have a 1969 johnson 20 hp that wont cycle water. It has a brand new impller and thermostat,i put it in the barrel and it still wont cycle water. I have taken air and shot it through the lines and bubbles come out so it seems there is no clog.:grumpy:. im seriously at the end of my rope :mad: this dam motors going to be the end of me.:facepalm:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: im about to tear my hair out.

Do you have it deep enough in the water? Water must be well up over the water pump bulge before starting the motor. How is the pump housing, worn? The angled bleed hole in the pump housing--between the grommet and drive shaft cup--is it open? Is the surface clean and undamaged where the SS pump plate rests? Are all the screws present, and did you use some sealer under the plate?

Finally, has the motor ever been overheated? There is a plastic water outlet restrictor in the exhaust housing, under the powerhead. Overheating melts the plastic and water can't get out. You have to remove the powerhead to access it. Part number is 313435. You also will need a new powerhead gasket.

kbait

Commander
Re: im about to tear my hair out.

What F_R said, plus make sure that stainless plate isn't bent, and be sure to get the watertube into the lower grommet correctly when installing the lower unit. Also, make sure that lower grommet isn't split/cracked. If your old impeller was in pieces, did you find ALL of 'em?

Welcome to iboats, and good luck!