1966 johnson cd23e

ifish4life

Recruit
New to the forum. Can someone please tell me how to get my 1966 6hp johnson (cd23e) from smoking so bad, it runs exelent and starts with the first pull. Also where can I get a top to the motor. Thanks for anyone who decides to send some ideas my way.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1966 johnson cd23e

New to the forum. Can someone please tell me how to get my 1966 6hp johnson (cd23e) from smoking so bad, it runs exelent and starts with the first pull. Also where can I get a top to the motor. Thanks for anyone who decides to send some ideas my way.

Are you running it in a barrel? It smokes a lot more when you run it in a barrel. Are you running 50:1 oil to gas mixture? If it's still bad you could consider using biodegradable synthetic tcw3 oil in the mix as it burns cleaner.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1966 johnson cd23e

Are you running it in a barrel? It smokes a lot more when you run it in a barrel. Are you running 50:1 oil to gas mixture? If it's still bad you could consider using biodegradable synthetic tcw3 oil in the mix as it burns cleaner.

+1 They don't call these old motors "2 smokes" for nothing. They smoke quite a bit when run in a test tank. It will be much cleaner on the open water. You should be running 50:1 mix with Champion J4C plugs and water filled up to about an inch below the main exhaust port. Here are some handy links.

Johnson
1966 Evinrude 6603 6 hp Outboard Motor Parts

cwtichenor

Recruit
I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for information on lower gear drive/unit for CD-23E. The lower gear shaft rides on a bearing set and a fixed collar. I'm looking for the part number for the fixed collar. I also need the o-ring and case seal part numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nwcove

Admiral
welcome to the forums! you should be able to find the part #'s at marineengine dot com, and iboats will probably have most of them. ( starting your own thread is the way to go here tho, much better results!)