1984 Evinrude 15 hp shifter problem

John Scott

Cadet
I recently rebuilt the gear case on a recently purchased 1984 Evinrude 15 hp which has the 20" lower unit. I have it all back together but have not reinstalled it to the powerhead as I am going to do a water pump replacement. When I manually try to engage the forward and reverse gears using the shift lever, the shift lever does not move very much and the prop shaft remains in neutral regardless of where I move the shifter. I have a Seloc Manual which has been pretty good and followed it to the tee. Everything appears to be back correctly but before I move ahead with the pump replacement, I would feel better if this is not a problem and is normal. If it isn't normal, what could I be missing. Prior to disassembly, the motor went into forward and reverse with no problem. Just as an aside, the clutch dog that rides in the shifter cradle does not appear to be moving far enough to engage with the forward and reverse gears when the bearing carrier assembly is put in place. That is, there doesn't appear to be that much travel of the clutch dog as when the bearing carrier is not in place. What am I missing here? Hope someone has experienced this or can tell me what's up.:confused

JS

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1984 Evinrude 15 hp shifter problem

Are you sure you got the pivot screw correctly through the hole in the shifter lever/yoke? I know
LeeRoy spends a fair amount of time on making sure that screw is correctly installed. If it was
not through the yoke properly, I would think it could cause your problem... I'm not an expert, but
I've got the same model gearcase apart, will be reassembling it next week, so I've been thinking
through the process as I read the Ramblings.