1988 Johnson 15 HP will not go into reverse

jpuras

Recruit
Had a guy come over to my house to "tune up" my 1988 Johnson 15 hp. The goal was to get it tuned up and when I take my four year old son out on this boat for his first time, it's running in top condition. The boat was handed down from my father to me. I fished this boat and motor since I was a teenager and now I'm almost 40 and it's still in our family.
So this guy is taking the lower unit off to check the impeller and grease a few points, when he is assembling it back I notice that the motor starts right up but now it does not go into reverse. He tries telling me that there is no reverse in this motor and I argue with him that yes there is drive, neutral and reverse. He figures finally that there is reverse but no matter how he tries to reassemble it, it will not go into reverse.
Any ideas? Did he maybe do something wrong when he disassembled it? Was he supposed to have it in a certain gear? Everything looks good in the motor and now I'm concerned he messed this thing up good.

I am hoping for some help/tips here.

Thanks in advance

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Johnson 15 HP will not go into reverse

In all probablity, he missed getting the lower shifting rod from the gearbox up high enough to have the clamp bolt enter the groove in the shifting rod. It may be clamped onto the very end, but not high enough into the clamp for the clamp bolt to go into the groove of the rod (leaving the rod about 3/8" too long), not allowing the shifting linkage to engage the reverse clutch dog.

These rod grooves need to be in the bolt clamp locations, which "time" the linkage. There is really no adjustment, UNLESS he messed with the lower shifting rod, which is threaded on the lower end inside the gearcase. If he did, just screw that rod in as far as it will go, while the upper is still pointing in the right direction as when nyou dropped the unit.

Just remove the lower unit again, but this time, spread the split shifting linkage clamp so the lower rod will easily enter, pull the lower shifting rod UP, align the clamp screw threaded hole with the groove in the rod, insert the bolt, tighten it and bolt the lower unit back in place.

May be best to not ask him to help again as he obviously never worked on many outboards before.

Rick.

Captain

So it does shift in and out of forward gear? When you drop the power unit to change the impeller there is a shift coupler you have to take a bolt out of to drop the gear case. It is possible he turned the coupler up/down a few turns which could cause the problem. I can't remember which way to turn it but you should be able to figure that out yourself. If you turn it too much you may find it has reverse but not forward. It is a fine measure that makes it work . Also it is not uncommon to have to turn the prop to get it to shift with the motor not running. Best of luck. Rick.

Xcusme

Commander

Ha! Just responded the same thing and erased it!!! Anyway, good luck and pay attention to 'the machinist' suggestion about recalling him....

jpuras

Recruit

Had a guy come over to my house to "tune up" my 1988 Johnson 15 hp. The goal was to get it tuned up and when I take my four year old son out on this boat for his first time, it's running in top condition. The boat was handed down from my father to me. I fished this boat and motor since I was a teenager and now I'm almost 40 and it's still in our family.
So this guy is taking the lower unit off to check the impeller and grease a few points, when he is assembling it back I notice that the motor starts right up but now it does not go into reverse. He tries telling me that there is no reverse in this motor and I argue with him that yes there is drive, neutral and reverse. He figures finally that there is reverse but no matter how he tries to reassemble it, it will not go into reverse.
Any ideas? Did he maybe do something wrong when he disassembled it? Was he supposed to have it in a certain gear? Everything looks good in the motor and now I'm concerned he messed this thing up good.

I am hoping for some help/tips here.

Thanks in advance

When I got home yesterday I started the motor again and ran it with fresh water, I gently tried to put it into gear and "drive" was making a noise that I have never heard before. Neutral is still there and reverse is not.

Thank you very much for your insight and wisdom!!

I'm just going to take it to a Johnson service shop nearby. Wish I had a YouTube video on this, I would attempt it my self!

The guy now wants me to bring it to him again and he wants to pull apart and rebuild the gear housing. LOL. NO WAY!!

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Yes. My vote is on what the machinist said.

Also, if they are going to drop the lower unit to look at it, you should have them install a new impeller, anyways. Looking at them is nice but the bottom line is that they need to be replaced at least every 5 years, whether you use them or not. They also have to be replaced when they are working fine because the alternative is for them to fail and within 2 minutes after that, you blow the motor. It's a $15 part. Ask them to change it.