1960 Johnson 40 HP

kfr002

Recruit
New to iboats. First post. Overhalling lower unit. Directly under the waterpump impeller is a stainless plate. Under the plate is the Oil seal. Under the Oil seal is a collar that the seal sets on. Now here is where I am stumped. Directly under
the collar on my unit was a needle bearing, with about half tge needles gone. Directley under the bearing appears to be a
bushing. The OD of the bearing and the bushing appear to be larger than the ID of the collar. That would say to me that the bushing and the bearing need to come out through the bottom. My Diagram of the lower unit appears to show the
bushing on the top and the needle bearing directly under the bushing. Please advise. Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1960 Johnson 40 HP

New to iboats. First post. Overhalling lower unit. Directly under the waterpump impeller is a stainless plate. Under the plate is the Oil seal. Under the Oil seal is a collar that the seal sets on. Now here is where I am stumped. Directly under
the collar on my unit was a needle bearing, with about half tge needles gone. Directley under the bearing appears to be a
bushing. The OD of the bearing and the bushing appear to be larger than the ID of the collar. That would say to me that the bushing and the bearing need to come out through the bottom. My Diagram of the lower unit appears to show the
bushing on the top and the needle bearing directly under the bushing. Please advise. Thanks

First of all welcome to iboats :welcome: great to have you aboard...

I have a 1976 version of a Johnson 40 HP OB so I’m very sure there are some differences as well And it has been so long since I removed all those parts in preparation for rebuild that I don't remember anymore. However, see if you can find a manufacturer's shop manual for your OB and it will become your best friend on anything to do with your Johnson 40 HP Engine. My manual shows the bushing and then the two seal (facing each other) going in from the top followed by the impellor plate, the actual impellor and then the water pump housing in that order. BUT, there are other parts that go in from the bottom as well. You have a washer, a thrust bearing, another washer, pinion bearing and then the pinion that goes in from the bottom in that order... Not sure if any of this helped, but I hope it did. Again buy a manufacturer's shop manual for your model, year, HP specific and all your answers will be there... :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK, below the stainless plate is the drive shaft oil seal. Below that is either a bronze bushing or a needle bearing, the design was changed from bushing to needle bearing at some time in that general era. I don't know which the 1960 is. Either way, it is removed from the top. Down at the pinion gear level are the pinion bearings. Going up from the bottom are a large roller bearing, a flat thrust bearing race, a flat needle thrust bearing, another flat race (different than the first one), then a needle bearing. All that stuff comes out from the bottom.

In case you don't already know, removing a needle bearing destroys it. It should not be reused once removed.

kfr002

Recruit

OK, below the stainless plate is the drive shaft oil seal. Below that is either a bronze bushing or a needle bearing, the design was changed from bushing to needle bearing at some time in that general era. I don't know which the 1960 is. Either way, it is removed from the top. Down at the pinion gear level are the pinion bearings. Going up from the bottom are a large roller bearing, a flat thrust bearing race, a flat needle thrust bearing, another flat race (different than the first one), then a needle bearing. All that stuff comes out from the bottom.

In case you don't already know, removing a needle bearing destroys it. It should not be reused once removed.

Thanks very much to both of you guys. I may have mor questions later. Have a FANTASTIC day.