1977 35 HP Evinrude parts needed

Chase10

Recruit
I have a 1977 35 HP Evinrude (pull start) and when attempting to start the rope keeps slipping, I have attached a picture of the plastic part that bolts to the outside of the flywheel, (not sure the name of this part...if anyone knows please tell me) the plastic part is wore down to where it is supposed to catch on the notch inside of the flywheel. Bottom line - not sure if this is the issue but would like to know the best way to locate these parts.

Attachments

• Evinrude 1977 35 HP.jpg
    Evinrude 1977 35 HP.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Evinrude 35 HP Pic 2.jpg
    Evinrude 35 HP Pic 2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1977 Evinrude 35 HP Flywheel.jpg
    1977 Evinrude 35 HP Flywheel.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 0

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 35 HP Evinrude parts needed

Picture 1 & 2 is the plastic starter lockout, designed to engage the starter pulley when in gear to prevent the pulley from moving.

Picture 3 is the plastic pawl. I can't tell from the picture if the tip of the pawl is worn or not BUT it appears to look okay. With the manual starter in that position... off the engine and upside down, when the cord is pulled, even slowly, that pawl should pivot outwards to its limit. If it does not, I would suspect that someone has greased the groove that the pawl retaining spring rides in. That groove should be dry to enable friction which would cause the pawl to function.