1977- 75 Evinrude very high idle missing choke solenoid

selanative

Cadet
Right now the engine doesnt have a choke solenoid. I'm told before the solenoid went out it idled fine... Im posting this as i am confused how the choke solenoid can actually control the idle??? When i start the engine it starts with no problem but starts to idle over 1200 rpms (ear muffs only) If i control the choke linkages by hand obviously it starts to flood. The only way i can lower the rpms with out choking it is to pull back on the spark advance lever under the flywheel.

So my question is does not having anything hooked to the choke levers really causing this?

Also i have not tried messing with the idle adjustment screw yet

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1977- 75 Evinrude very high idle missing choke solenoid

Is your control cable not pulling the spark advance back far enough to the stop?
If the cables are worn the spark advance will often not retract back enough and it makes getting the correct lync and syn to full throttle hard.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

It will idle high on muffs, you need the motor in water to set idle. Choke solonoid would not affect idle.

selanative

Cadet

Ok, launched the boat today, and let it idle, sounded much better and lower, left the launch throttled down, almost planed out and started bogging down, then died. Found some loose connections that were not allowing me to crank back up. After that point i cant go any further on my throttle than just a slow idle both forward or reverse. Basically doesnt like a load just wants to bog out and kill. Going to clean the carbs tomorrow and see if i cant find any debris. Any other ideas on what it might be? Other than that everything sounded and looked great

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Do a compression test if possible.
Check your carbs are shutting off when full and not flooding it. Pump the primer, tilt the engine up and see if any fuel drips out the carb throats.
Look at your plugs for any sign of rust or oily water intrusion

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

You also might want to make sure the timer base is advancing with the throttle.

selanative

Cadet

I did a compression test about 2 weeks ago. I got low numbers, but consistent 110,110,115. I'll do that carb test this evening.

As far the time it moving toward the carbs when I throttle up and moves back when I throttle down.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

At full throttle the timer base arm needs to be resting on the rubber stopper.

selanative

Cadet

ok, tilted up motor all the way then pumped the fuel bulb, no fuel was coming out the carbs.

At full throttle i noticed the timer base was not hitting the rubber stopper that you can adjust by screwing (right one) its off about 1/4 inch

Cranked the engine up and started pulling the spark plug boots and good lord did i notice a shock. On my mudmotor i could pull the the boots with out getting any shock, not these. But it would only shock when i pull them off, i can touch them all day while they are connected.

However, i did find that when i pulled the top one the coil was grounding out via blue spark to the bracket underneath it, the other ones i did not notice this. But it only does it when i remove it from the spark plug.

im going to upload some images of where everything sits a little later once i get time to so maybe that might help yall help me. Thanks for all the input

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Run it at night connected up and see if it shorts out too

selanative

Cadet

201304231659361.jpg

throttle all the way open with carb butterflies horizontal

201304231659441.jpg

kinda crappy picture and hard to see the gap, but there is one there

201304231700231.jpg

Neutral carb butterflies in vertical position

selanative

Cadet

just started it in the dark. the top coil isnt jumping to ground while connected, now i did see a itty bitty arc jumping from the bottom coil to a clamp. Also noticed that on all three sparkplugs there was a sharp blue ring around them past the boot. guess this is normal??? never looked at plugs running in the dark.

Also I mixed my fuel 50:1 is that to much on this engine? just checked the plugs too and they look normal.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Your bottom coil seems like its shorting out.
Check your spark plug gaps
You also need to use a timing light and check where that sparkadvance needs to stop at.
Sorry but my manual is for 1980s and above so i dont know the timing on that one

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

You shouldn't see any electrical arcing when its running, timer base needs to be against the stop. Even if the timing stop is off some it shouldn't run like that, i would take care of the shorting coil first before getting into timing. If you see sparks jumping from the plugs to the head then your boots are leaking.

selanative

Cadet

The spark looked like it was around the base where the white and silver of the spark plug come together it was never touching the motor. I'm going to run it again tonight and see with a new set of plugs. Also I'm going to try getting my hands on a timing light.

I talked to the previous owner and he said it ran fine until one day it was idling on muffs and the spring and plunger decided to fly off and since then it ran like this. Very confusing as well

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whats "the spring and plunger"? The choke solonoid?

selanative

Cadet

Yes, its what attaches to the choke arm for the carbs

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to make sure the choke butterflys are open all the way after you start it.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

ditto on the choke plate position. Looking a the picts, seems to be a spray pattern of oil residue on float bowl, could be an air issue between carb and manifold or float bowl to carb surface. make sure the gaskets are there and tighten em up. check fuel lines, fully closed throttle plate and idle screw.