Motor gets stuck in one gear unless i rotate prop

Aaron4260

Recruit
So i bought a 66 evinrude 6 hp. 6602 e is the model number. The guy showed me it ran great which it did. But once i got it on the water i found it would shut off after running a bit. I found this to be because it gets thrown into gear basically. It will only start if i rotate the prop which allows me to move lever into fwd reverse and neutral. However once it runs for a minute it will on go into 2 of the 3 until i move prop. What could be wrong?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motor gets stuck in one gear unless i rotate prop

If the motor is off it may require you to move the prop to shift.
I'm not clear what is happening.Does the motor stall when put in gear?
It won't shift to neutral so won't crank because the ingear safety locks the recoil?
There may also be a device that won't let it crank if the throttle is advanced too far.
If it stalls when put in gear maybe the gear case is seized.
If it slips into gear the detent parts may be worn or missing.
I believe there are detent balls and spring in the gear case.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Im not really clear either, but as stated above, it is normal to have to rotate prop sometimes when the motor is off to shift cleanly.

If it is dying in gear on you, there is an issue. Have you checked the gearcase oil?

Are you losing spark?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is no interlock on that motor. The gearshift has nothing to do with anything else as far as starting, running or quitting. BTW, the OP has started a new thread on this same subject.

Aaron4260

Recruit

Okay so basically it will start if i hold the prop in place and it will run fine but as soon as i let the prop go without actually shifting into a gear it will stall. And yes i checked the lower gear unit oil it was taking on water heavily. I bought a new seal kit but just wondering if i should even put it on considering the problems im having with shifting