1974 85hp Johnson wiring

Ordneb

Seaman
I have just acquired a 1974 85hp johnson and a 1978 Starcraft 180. The boat has a wiring harness in place that was hooked up to a fried Chrysler 105. I would like to hook the wiring up to my Johnson and eliminate the switch and wiring from my control box. I am looking for an explanation of which wire goes where on the motor. Is there a diagram that would show me which color wire from the harness I should connect to which post on the motor? I could probably trace the wires but that could take days to figure it out. Any ideas? Thanks.

<>< Pastor Tim

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 85hp Johnson wiring

You may find what you are looking for in the "top secret" files at the top of this first webpage. If that's not good enough, you'll need to get your hands on an original factory service manual: check out: outboardbooks.com

Re: 1974 85hp Johnson wiring

if you have a remote set up for the johnson you can remove the key from the remote and install that in the dash. Most of the wiring on the boat is not connected to the engine harness so you have to think of it as 2 systems. check the stickys at the top of the elec forum as well that may help