1971 Evinrude Fisherman Cover Seal

surveywaters

Cadet
I have a '71 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman (6102G) that I've been working on. I would like to replace the hood seal. The original seal is white which would be nice, but that doesn't really matter. I just want one that is flexible and seals properly. I have been unsucessful searching for one. My random rubber extrusion profile search has not been very good either. Any tips?

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1971 Evinrude Fisherman Cover Seal

There have been posts about this topic before. Try doing a forum search and you might hit the jackpot. Best of luck. Rick.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

First of all welcome to iboats :welcome: Great having you aboard...

I feel your pain. I too needed a cowling seal for my 1976 Johnson 40 HP outboard and of course it is listed but states no longer available... So I went on a search all over the place looking for such a seal. And just like you, I found virtually nothing that would work. Then I heard of a guy in Canada that sold those seals by the foot (or it could have been inch...not sure now). But he was expensive...real expensive... So I thought there were no other option and made one last plea for anybody that knew of such a seal before buying it from Canada. A person responded that while my seal was obsolete, that a newer version for another engine was made out of the exact same profile, but I would have to cut it down to fit my OB. So I purchased it and it was the exact same seal/gasket and was about two inches too long. So I cut it to fit and wha la...perfect fix. I said that to tell you that maybe your seal can be bought from another newer type seal for another engine from the same manufacturer and cut to fit as well. You may even find a white seal too. So look at the profile of the newer engine cowling seals/gaskets instead of the part number from your seal... I'll bet they still make it too...just not cut to your length and part number spec... JMHO!

surveywaters

Cadet

Thanks Rick, however as stated, I have searched extensively. If you happen to have more luck, please shoot me a link.

GM280, that's kind of what I was hoping to hear. The seal on this motor does not look formed in any way, it's just an extrusion. So if I could find it by the foot or for a different motor that would be great. I haven't seen many OMC seals published for sale that included an image of the profile. Maybe I can get a pic of mine to show here, I just hate removing or even loosening it with out knowing I can replace it.

Thanks

Stickler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check out nymarine, they should have it, it may be a bit pricey as stated, but most obsolete parts will be, good luck.

surveywaters

Cadet

I just went to Nmarine and they have a beautiful image of the profile. It's their type 4 and apparently fits 4-5-6 hp Johnson/Evinrude from '65-'90. That is what I needed to know, now I can find it else where cheaper. Thanks for all of your help guys!!

Ktana

Recruit

I have a '71 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman (6102G) that I've been working on. I would like to replace the hood seal. The original seal is white which would be nice, but that doesn't really matter. I just want one that is flexible and seals properly. I have been unsucessful searching for one. My random rubber extrusion profile search has not been very good either. Any tips?

I had the same problem. I ended up looking at 3 or 4 different extrusions until I found the perfect one for my Fisherman. No glue or staples are needed. Problem is I had to buy a 50 foot roll of it for 2 feet. If you would like to buy some let me know and I can cut some off for you.

surveywaters

Cadet

I would be interested Ktana. Is it black or white, and how much per/ft? I guess it would take 4 or 5ft.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I just went to Nmarine and they have a beautiful image of the profile. It's their type 4 and apparently fits 4-5-6 hp Johnson/Evinrude from '65-'90. That is what I needed to know, now I can find it else where cheaper. Thanks for all of your help guys!!

I hope I caught you before you ordered. I bought my cowling seal from a place called Sunset Marine. They sold it nearly half the price of the Canadian guy and while it was about two inches longer then I needed, a simple cut fixed that issue. It fits absolutely perfect too... Hope this helps other looking for cowling seals that are marked "Obsolete"... :)

emckelvy

Commander

I hope I caught you before you ordered. I bought my cowling seal from a place called Sunset Marine. They sold it nearly half the price of the Canadian guy and while it was about two inches longer then I needed, a simple cut fixed that issue. It fits absolutely perfect too... Hope this helps other looking for cowling seals that are marked "Obsolete"... :)

I've been working on the restoration of a '69 Johnson 6hp and it's down to the cowling rubber, so this thread is very appropo!

Was Sunset Marine a local store, or do they have a website? I found a "sunsetmarine.com" but didn't see any listings for cowling seals.

Thanks.........ed

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I've been working on the restoration of a '69 Johnson 6hp and it's down to the cowling rubber, so this thread is very appropo!

Was Sunset Marine a local store, or do they have a website? I found a "sunsetmarine.com" but didn't see any listings for cowling seals.

Thanks.........ed

They are a web based Marine site. I would contact them and ask about your cowling seal before moving on to some place else. Their website is: www.sunsetmarine.com and they are located in 772 Broadway, El Cajon, California 92021. Give them an email or I'm sure they also have a number you could call from their website. Worth the effort in my opinion. They got me my seal for an obsolete 1976 Johnson 40 HP OB cowling seal and it fits absoltely perfect... Oh, I found their number too... 1-619-593-4006 Hope this helps... Have a wonderful day...:D