1991 evinrude 150 intruder ovrtheat alarm.

C. Wood

Recruit
Starts fine, runs fine for 10 min then the alarm sounds. Still idles ok but when you throttle up it sputters up and down. If I let it sit off for five min. it starts and runs fine as long as I take off before alarm starts. Alarm does not go off if I plane off but as soon as I idle for 5 or 10 min. it starts again. If its an overheat alarm would that make it run as described and then run fine when it cools down? Or is it a vacuum alarm?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1991 evinrude 150 intruder ovrtheat alarm.

Put your hand on it and see if its very hot. You should be able to put your hand there for a couple of seconds.
Have you changed your thermostat/poppet/ impellor lately?

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

assuming your peeing, as bosun mentioned i'd check/clean thermostats for the overheat issue, look up the manual for location(top of heads)

check fuel system gas/lines/carbs for sputter issue because a hot motor i believe should take off too

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You did not mention anything about the telltale. Either a bad impeller or the thermostats are stuck shut (or both.) Will cause a horn at idle. Once you get the boat up on plane, the increased water pressure causes both stats to retract in their housing-providing increased water flow through the powerhead and significantly more cooling-silencing the horn. Once you slow to idle, you must have a good impeller and two functioning stats-or the horn will start to sound again. A strong telltale may indicate the impeller is functioning normally. If so, you probably need to replace both stats.