'84 evinrude 75hp vacuum leak

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey guys or fuel system entirely rebuilt. Right where hose #11 on the diagram goes into the fuel pump had a leak. Motor would not idle but studder an die. The nipple off of the fiel pump is a metal fitting that easily slides out of the fuel pump. Do I need to put a fuel sealer around the metal nipple before sticking it back into the fuel pump? I can feel air pulsing pretty strongly around the fuel pump. I fixed the leak somewhat but it is still there.Evinrude Fuel Pump Parts for 1984 75hp E75TLCRD Outboard Motor

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: '84 evinrude 75hp vacuum leak

That nipple is not supposed to slide out of the pump. But you could try some red loc-tite on it and see if it holds. And of course there's always the good old JB Weld.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Thanks bob I knew you'd know. Man that sucks I wonder how/why it came loose. I have some fuel fitting sealer that I want to try. It gets hard and holds fittings together pretty well.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Went to local evinrude dealer and got a whole new fuel pump for $105. Not too shabby. Here's what I was talking about. The pump on the top has the brass fiting out of it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take a small punch and stake the area of the fitting where it goes into the pump. This puts some burrs on the fitting. Then put your sealer on it and press it back in. Let us know what happens. Bob

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Bob I just ended up buying a new pump. The motor wouldn't idle it had a bad vacuum leak. I'm going to try and start it tomorrow.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Let us know what happens.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Changes out the fuel pump, she's idling beautifully. The mechanic that looked at my fuelpump said it was aftermarket garbage. Anyways, 100 well spent. Oh he also said that the new fuelpump was ethanol resistant, so that's a plus.... By the way I replaced that fuel primer nipple off the carb because the jb weld did not hold. The part number you fished out for me was spot on. You're sure a good guy to know!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Glad you got it all together.