1965 Johnson 40hp RD-27M help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTHNZ

Recruit
Hi There,

I am new to the forums and equally as new to outboards (or any engines of that kind to be honest). I recently bought my first boat with a 1965 Johnson 40hp, model number RD-27M (Serial # C447331).

It was dropping power suddenly and slowing to a crawl, then it would suddenly pick up, then drop again and stay sluggish. The plugs would become completely fouled (both carbon and oil deposits). I have since change the fuel oil ratio to 50:1 (it was running 30:1). I have also changed all fuel lines and put in a fuel filter on one of them (see pic below, someone please tell me if this is ok?). I have also thoroughly cleaned the carb and changed the plugs too. Everything I have done so far is from reading these forums, so thank you. However I am now stuck...

Fuel filter (is this the correct place to put it?):

IMAG0007.jpg

Since doing what I said above, I have started the engine. It ran for about two minutes, during which time I attempter to adjust the rich/lean screw on the carb to as lean as possible however I could not get it to stop kicking every 5 seconds. After it cut out on me I checked the plugs and this is what they looked like (one has more oil on it, the other more carbon):

IMAG0003.jpg

I can only assume it is running way too rich, however I have no idea how to rectify this... I had taken this apart:

IMAG0004.jpg

I'm assuming this is the fuel pump? I set it so that the coiled metal piece inside is essentially just resting on its mounting point and has not been coiled tightly as I assumed this is the leanest setting?

It is poignant to note that when I took the old plugs to the shop they told me the Champion J8C was the correct replacement, however from reading further on here I have found that the J4C should be used. I'm going to go buy a set of those now, would this fix my problem by any chance? Also, I read something about re-floating the carb and how to set it. I'm going to take the carb apart again to see if it is set correctly (as per what I have read on here), I'm assuming this may also cause the issue I have?

Also, the area around the plugs (I think this is the powerhead?) is very hot to the touch, yet there is a steady spray of water that comes out the back. Is there a way I can check to see if the watercooling/thermostat is operating as it should? I have no idea where the thermostat is or even what it looks like...

One last thing, the adjustment for idle here:

IMAG0005.jpg

Will that help me at all?

I know there are a lot of questions here. I have tried to educate myself from these forums, however I need direct answers from 'the knowledgeable ones' :joyous: to get this thing running as it should.

Any help is greatly appreciated. By the way, anyone else here from New Zealand?

Many Thanks,
David

DTHNZ

Recruit
Re: 1965 Johnson 40hp RD-27M help please

Sorry two more things...

My friend took this off:

IMAG0008.jpg

From this area (attached to the carb somewhere I think):

IMAG0009.jpg

It was taken off when we removed the pull start bit at the top, I have no idea what it does (and I need to ask my friend exactly where it came from...).

Also, does anyone have a spare set (or know where to get them) of the 'teeth' that are part of the top pull-start piece that bite onto the centre? I think there are 4 of them, I only had one the others missing, and it is bent and worn...

Many Thanks,
David

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would start by testing the compression before putting any more money into it. Should always be step #1.

If all is well, likely 100psi and within 10 % of each other, I would look to spark. Get an adjustable tester, set it to 1/4". The spark should jump this gap with a bright blue ZAP!! If the coils are original, and cracked, the are junk and will need to be replaced. Have you looked at the magneto yet?

There are some threads in the FAQs you should read about adjusting the needles to save typing.

If the water pump has not been done, would be a very good idea, especially on a new motor to you. If youcannot hold your hand on the head for a 3 count, or if water sizzles when splashed, it is too hot.

That is not the fuel pump, but the choke. Most just disconnect it and choke manually. Not all that reliable.

DTHNZ

Recruit

Hi there,

Thank you for your advice. I am taking it round to my friends house tonight to check the compression and coils.

lindy46

Captain
You most likely don't need a carburetor - just a carb rebuild kit. Your idle adjustment knob is broken off. The fuel filter is fine, but there is a fuel filter already built into the fuel pump. That lockout lever works only in conjunction with the pull-starter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.