External wiring harness for 56 evinrude 30

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I just got a 1956 Evinrude bigtwin 30 Electric start for a Lonestar restoration. I need a external wiring harness for the starter and choke switches as it did not come with any controls. I don't think the old simplex controls had a starter and choke switch on them did they? I'm a little confused by this set up and any help would be appreciated.
1956 Evinrude bigtwin 30 electric start Model 25924 Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: External wiring harness for 56 evinrude 30

You are lucky in that you dont have a plug to worry about. In 56 the wiring was hard wired to the motor. This makes it easy to replace, as you dont need to find a connector.

Go to your local hardware store, and get some #4 welding cable and conectors and make your own harness.

Something you need to know, the '56 was a 6 volt system. It will need to be converted to run on a 12 volt battery. I will post the wiring conversion below. Also, if you dont wire in a resistor, you will need to change the choke solenoid. It is made for a 6 volt system and will burn up when used with a 12 volt battery. The starter and solenoid will be fine on 12 volts, just dont crank it endlessly.

I have rewired and converted many 56 Big Twins. Need any other info Ill try to help. Here is a 56 Johnson I rewired. You can pull the wiring through a heater hose like below, or shrink wrap. Whatever you like.

6V resistor.jpg

Here is the original wiring diagram

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you have a part # on the starter and choke solenoid? Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

seite_22_23.jpg

Well like I said, you will want a 12volt choke solenoid if you plan on runnning a normal 12volt battery. One from a '57 35hp will work. Part number 376806 superseeded to 0385554. Post a wanted ad at aomci.org in the webvertize section. Someone will sell you one reasonably. I may have a couple starters from the '56 30hp. I can look for you, otherwise again, post an ad. It is part number 277432

If you have a starter, you can have it rebuilt. Or do you just not have either?

You will need the START and CHOKE plate as well, with 2 push buttons. Here is the 1956 Accessories page.

lindy46

Captain

So you have only the motor - no junction box with the starter solenoid? Does the motor have the starter and a choke solenoid on the carb? If it does have the original 6 volt starter and choke solenoid, you can look for a 6 volt starter solenoid and just use a 6 volt battery, available at most tractor supply-type stores. You can just wire it up with two waterproof pushbuttons (one for "start" and one for "choke"). That motor didn't come with a keyswitch, and to shut if down, you just hit the choke button.

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I have everything in a 6 volt system but was wondering if I need a 12 volt starter solenoid? I will keep the 6 volt starter and be gentle with it. Ill get a 12 volt choke solenoid to replace the 6 volt. Ill also get the start and choke plate and push buttons > Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Follow the wiring diagram I posted, and use a 12volt starter solenoid and 12volt choke solenoid. Your starter will be fine. Ive done many of these. You can get by without a choke solenoid if you do it manually. If you put 12 volts to it she will cook in a matter of time.

If you wire in a resistor like the 1 diagram shows, you can use all the 6 volt components. I have never tried that myself as I usually have spare 12volt solenoids laying around.

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK , Iv got the 12 volt starter solenoid and choke solenoid but I still have a few questions. I can't seem to find the speed limiting mercury switch. Also i have a red wire hanging off that i cant seem to identifyIMG_1749[1] (2).jpgIMG_1748[2] (2).jpgIMG_1747[1] (2).jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I can answer both questions in 1. That red wire is attached to the mercury switch. That lead will end up at one of the post of the start button.

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I think I've got a handle on it now. Appreciate your help. I'm sure Ill have more questions as I go forward.I'll keep you posted.

Extrasherman

Recruit

Hi, sorry for joining this thread a little late, but it pertains to where I'm at with my '56 Big Twin I'm rebuilding. My boat is a 17' fiberglass trihull Masterliner. When I got the boat it didn't run but it had this big beauty Evinrude on the back. I'm missing the "start choke" buttons but the boat was wired with an ignition and a choke tab up by the steering wheel. I'm not sure how I should go about starting from scratch with the wiring. All I want to wire is the lights and the ignition. Also, I've never done this before. Any help would be much appreciated. I'll buy you a beer :)