1964 johnson 18hp seahorse fd 18 wont idle/and lookin for a starter that will fit

radlersadler

Cadet
I recently bought this 1964 Johnson seahorse fd 18 and it had not been ran since duck season which was about 4 months ago it ran decent when I tried it out in his pond but wouldn't idle I thought changing the plugs and putting new gas in it would help but didn't I need help on where to start to get this issue fixed also he said if u go full throttle for few min it would cut out and die one last ? it has a pull start on it and ive seen videos with these motors having a starter can anyone give me part numbers or a website to go to so I can install a starter any help would be really appreciated thanks

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1964 johnson 18hp seahorse fd 18 wont idle/and lookin for a starter that will fit

do a compression test first, then have a read of the top secret file at the beginning of this forum, tons of info on reviving your motor, and a list of salvage yards that may have the parts for electric start.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 johnson 18hp seahorse fd 18 wont idle/and lookin for a starter that will fit

Finding and buying all the components to make it electric start gets to be expensive and troublesome. I would try to find an electirc start and sell that one If I were you. Much easier.

Regarding your issue, start with a compession test to ensure engine health before putting money into it. If all is well, is it running on both cylinders? WIll spark jump a 1/4" gap with a bright blue ZAP on both cylinders?

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue though. Might be time to clean/rebuild the carb and change the fuel lines. The vent is open on the tank right?

kfa4303

Banned

Hi radler. Welcome to iboats. Here's a great link that can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom. I suspect you need to thoroughly clean/rebuild the carb and check the ignition. As long as the compression is ok, all the rest can be fixed with ease. You can get any routine parts you may need right here at iboats and the starter can be found online on sites like ebay, aomci.org and marineengine.com.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie

1964 Johnson FD-18 18 hp Outboard Motor Parts

radlersadler

Cadet

did a compression check pulled rope 4-5 times on each cylinder and both read 75 and it does run on both cylinders I haven't checked the spark the way your sayin I put a car spark tester on it and hooked one end to wire and other end to plug and left plug in motor it had good spark goin through that tester the guy I bought it from replaced a fuel line cause it was collapsed and yes the vent is open on tank I took it to lake last weekend and when I did get it runnin it ran pretty decent at half throttle if I kept it wide open after few minutes it would start cutting out and then die but most of time it starts pretty easy but sometimes I get wore out pullin the rope I got a feeling I got ripped off but the guy said he used it all through duck season its got one duck season on the lower unit I took carb off while on the lake and jet was clean and bowl was clean im new at workin on boat motors this is my first tiller motor and the first one ive ever had to mess with so any help is much appreciated

radlersadler

Cadet

Hi radler. Welcome to iboats. Here's a great link that can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom. I suspect you need to thoroughly clean/rebuild the carb and check the ignition. As long as the compression is ok, all the rest can be fixed with ease. You can get any routine parts you may need right here at iboats and the starter can be found online on sites like ebay, aomci.org and marineengine.com.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie

the problem im having is finding the right stuff I have no part numbers for any of the electric start stuff ive just seen motors like mine with it on there and cant find any part numbers or anything so I can look it up

nwcove

Admiral

jmo, but the money you will spend on all the parts needed to convert to electric start could be spent on other boating accessories! when properly tuned, that motor should be 3 pulls cold, and 1 pull warm.

radlersadler

Cadet

jmo, but the money you will spend on all the parts needed to convert to electric start could be spent on other boating accessories! when properly tuned, that motor should be 3 pulls cold, and 1 pull warm.

yea I was just seein prices not a need I just want that thing to run properly only one time while messing with motor on lake on and off all afternoon did it crank on first pull but then it died again after few min and then it was back to pulling pulling pulling but I started goin back to dock using trolling motor and decided to try again so got it running pretty quick and made it back to dock using half throttle all the way back

radlersadler

Cadet

i just ordered the carb rebuild kit so im goin to rebuild it its got some autolite plugs in it should I go find some champion plugs or use them autolites and with both cylinders holding at 75 with compression is that acceptable would that cause any of my problems

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i have a 68, 18 that is both electric and pull start. i can get her started easy by the pull. i did replace all the ignition, wires, plugs. also did carb work on it as well. mine has a needle bearing in the carb, i replaced that and it idles nicely.
dino

radlersadler

Cadet

does a 64 fd 18 have a needle bearing

kfa4303

Banned

yes, I believe '64 was the year they introduced the needle bearings which means you can run it at 50:1, but I run mine a bit richer. These old girls appreciate a little extra oil. I agree that the trouble and expense of an electric start may not be worth the trouble. My motor fires right up in 1-2 pulls. Here's a parts catalog for a '64 FD-18, 18hp.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

yes, I believe '64 was the year they introduced the needle bearings which means you can run it at 50:1, but I run mine a bit richer. These old girls appreciate a little extra oil. I agree that the trouble and expense of an electric start may not be worth the trouble. My motor fires right up in 1-2 pulls. Here's a parts catalog for a '64 FD-18, 18hp.

yes part 34 is the part i replaced. good luck great running motors.

radlersadler

Cadet

thanks for all the info and yes I did learn that this motor does run 50:1 but im still confused on the compression is 75 on both cylinders ok or do I need to re ring it?? I was just looking at the parts diagram this motor only has that brass rod on the hign speed needle doesn't have the parts to adjust it would this cause the no idle or the boggin down snd dying at wide open throttle

kfa4303

Banned

Hi radler. 75 psi is a bit low, but the more important thing is that the two cylinders be within 10% compression of each other. If there is a large imbalance between the two, that's the tell-tale sign you have a blown head gasket, or worse. Assuming both cylinders are close in compression, you're probably ok. The comp. numbers will often improve once the motor has warmed up to temperature. You can even run a decarb on it that often improves the compression as well. Good observation on the high speed needle. They became fixed/non-adjustable around this time, which is kind of nice. You simply thread it in place and leave it be. My '66 has a fixed hi speed needle as well. If the compression checks out, move on to the spark. It should jump a 1/4" gap. You can get a gap tester from any auto store for about $5. If /when the spark checks out, move on to the carb. You can get a rebuild kit right here at iboats for about $20. Once the carb is clean, you can then replace the impeller and fire her up. Just be sure to use a test tank with water filled up to 1-2" below the main exhaust port. Don't be alarmed if the water gets yuky, that's normal.

radlersadler

Cadet

Hi radler. 75 psi is a bit low, but the more important thing is that the two cylinders be within 10% compression of each other. If there is a large imbalance between the two, that's the tell-tale sign you have a blown head gasket, or worse. Assuming both cylinders are close in compression, you're probably ok. The comp. numbers will often improve once the motor has warmed up to temperature. You can even run a decarb on it that often improves the compression as well. Good observation on the high speed needle. They became fixed/non-adjustable around this time, which is kind of nice. You simply thread it in place and leave it be. My '66 has a fixed hi speed needle as well. If the compression checks out, move on to the spark. It should jump a 1/4" gap. You can get a gap tester from any auto store for about $5. If /when the spark checks out, move on to the carb. You can get a rebuild kit right here at iboats for about $20. Once the carb is clean, you can then replace the impeller and fire her up. Just be sure to use a test tank with water filled up to 1-2" below the main exhaust port. Don't be alarmed if the water gets yuky, that's normal.

thanks I was a lil concerned with compression holding at 75psi but that's good to hear that since both r the same im alright for now im already using a barrel to run motor in and I ordered carb kit yest so just waiting for that to come in maybe this carb rebuild will fix my issues fingers crossed do you thnk I could be having some fuel pump issues or do u think that's working properly and how can I test for proper fuel pressure

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Pop quiz time. There was talk about the differences made in '64 to change the fuel:eek:il ratio. Anyone know what differences were made to the rods, pistons, wrist pins, upper and lower bearings, main bearing, crank, rod bearings, etc....???

Answer: Dont look too hard, there is none. All identical. So why is '64 the magic year? Well, its just a guideline. Not all motors made a change in '64, so dont get too hung up on that guideline. You cant really say a '63 FD needs 24:1 and a '64 FD needs 50:1. If anyone does, ask them why? ;)

Regarding your issue, the fixed high speed jets are often over looked. They can sometimes be cleaned by leaving them in, but I always remove them. You need a special tool to do this. You can make one, but your dealer can sell you one. Worst case scenario, get them to pull it out for you to clean properly. You dont want to damage it. Simply soaking it and blowing it out doesnt always cut it.

Also, have you looked at the ignition yet? Are the coils original?

radlersadler

Cadet

OK thanks for that info I'll be sure to check into that high-speed needle and no I haven't looked at the coils. Haven't taken off flywheel yet. I read a post somewhere sayin u need a special tool is that correct what do I need to look for when I take flywheel off and would that high speed needle cause any of my problems

radlersadler

Cadet

And are u sayin since there is no poof why 64 model is built no diff than a 63. That I need to run 24:1 instead of 50:1

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You will have an inspection plate on your flywheel. Take off the pull start, then take out the 3 screws that hold the plate on the flywheel. Now you can see your ignition. Take out the spark plugs so you can turn the flywheel easier. This is also an access to clean/set the points.

It is an owners judgement call on the fuel ratio. I just meant to inform that there was no real change. Im not so certain the '64 FD needs the full 24:1. Cant hurt though.