Evinrude 9.9 choke

digler

Cadet
I have a 1993 evinrude 9.9 set up remote on a pontoon boat. I just purchased this motor and hung it but i cant get it to run. It will start after a lot of cranking an some throttle work but wont stay running. My questions are where is the choke lever and where is the external slow speed adjustment, it seems these items have been eliminated on the newer models.Also how long would a motor be expected to run with the tank vent closed..................it might have been
Thanks

digler

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 9.9 choke

Of course I have a model number b u t i'm at work and as you would expect the paper with it written on and the boat with the motor arn't. In my defense though I meant to bring it , thats why i wrote it down. Sucks gettin old, stand by till tomorrow and i'll post it then
thaks

Patate

Seaman

May be you dont have a choke but instead a primer, can you push the key when turning on ignition, if yes, it's a primer, like my 91 9.9

digler

Cadet

Heres the model E10RELETM and i believe i do have the primer but no actual choke (78 25hp had both) what about slow speed adj. and how long would it be expected to run with a full to the top fuel tank with the vent closed

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Heres the model E10RELETM and i believe i do have the primer but no actual choke (78 25hp had both) what about slow speed adj. and how long would it be expected to run with a full to the top fuel tank with the vent closed

Until it stops... But I hear they will run longer with the fuel tank vent open... :facepalm:

digler

Cadet

reason i asked is i can not get it to run more than 45 sec to a min and now that i ran the bat dead i found the vent still closed......i opened it but not far enough bat on charge now

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On that motor, you need to remove the upper cowling, the idle jet adjustment screw is on the upper LH rear (looking rearward) of the plastic top. It sits out to the side as compared to the other ones that attache the top to the base.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You choke that mtr by pushing in the key and it activates the primer on the mtr.

digler

Cadet

OK found out something interesting boat has 5 wire plug motor has seven wires but they plug in to each other was told to try it might be ok.......dont think so motor starts with recoil and runs on stand, disconnect fuel line to shut it off might need newer ignition to match motor hard to start and no electric primer when hooked to boat