1966 Johnson 9.5hp long shaft?

Olmotorlover

Recruit
I just purchased a 1966 9.5hp Johnson off a guy. I didn't even realize the extra section of shaft housing until I got it home. I didn't think they made a long shaft version of that motor. Is that a conversion or factory? And how could I go about converting to short?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1966 Johnson 9.5hp long shaft?

Welcome to iboats.

You are going to need a complete conversion kit to switch it to short.
Water tube, shift shaft, and driveshaft.

Probably easier to list it on Craigslist for sale or trade for a short shaft motor.

Guys are always looking for long shaft motors for kickers.

Olmotorlover

Recruit

Thanks for the response roscoe, That's a bummer I was hoping I wouldn't have to purchase any thing. I was hoping it would have been more like cutting the tube and removing an extra link. Thanks again for the info.....anyone want a long shaft 9.5 haha

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you are mechanically inclined, I see no reason that you could not cut 5" out of the driveshaft & have it welded back. But be sure it is straight & runs true afterwards. You could also cut the same off the water tube & shifting rod. You would have to cut the shifting rod between the lower bend & lower coupler location. Again when it is welded be sure it is in the same alignment. Then of course eliminate the extension.

Olmotorlover

Recruit

I just ordered a service manual so I can see what's going on inside there. I may try that, I have acess to mahine shop. I just wanna make sure I can cut,chop,rebuild without destroying my beautiful little motor. Thanks again