Poppet valve

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know if a 1988 Evinrude 225hp V6 has one and if so where is it?? Have been reading some posts about these in regards to water pressure. If engine has it would like to at least take it out to see if it needs a cleaning or replace it as previous owner used boat in saltwater.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Poppet valve

Don't know about that part number, but the thermostat assembly is under the small cover at the top of the cylinder heads (both).

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh ok so in this case the poppet is actually the thermostat? Have already replaced those, watched a video of a guy replacing a poppet on a Mercury, looks like something totally different than the thermostats. At least on a Mercury anyway.

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Correct, the stat also is the poppet valve. One in each head.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like what i was trying to find that is called a poppet valve on a Mercury is the water control valve on the Evinrude. It sits mid engine has a water line coming from the stbd stat, a water line going to the pee hole, and a line going to a connecter that the water pressure gauge line goes to. Saw on other forums regarding low water pressure to check that. Thoughts are to just replace it since i replaced the stats see what the pressure does.

tjhamms

Seaman Apprentice

I have them on a 1985 V6 cross flow engine. On mine I take the thermostat cover off and right below the thermostat is the poppet valve. Relplace them every time you do the thermostat. Hope this helps.