Crack in engine 71 evinrude fisherman 6hp

rodge

Cadet
Hi there,

While cleaning my engine I found a crack. (See image)
I was wondering if this means the end....

Kind regards,
Rodge
crack-71evinrude.jpg

Rick.

Captain
Re: Crack in engine 71 evinrude fisherman 6hp

Check your compression. I would hold onto spending any money until then. A larger pic would be nice. Rick.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A good welder could fix that.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I agree with Frank. That is in the outer water jacket. I've seen it before with head bolts that were over tightened. Have it welded, deck the cylinder face to true it up, retap the threads, check the head for flatness, install a new head gasket with the cylinder head, and torque the bolts properly.

rodge

Cadet

Hi Rick,

How do I check my compression?

Rick.

Captain

You will need to get a compression gauge. You remove a plug and screw it in the plug hole. Ground the plug wire from the pulled plug. Pull the rope (counting the number of pulls) until the gauge stops climbing. Stop and write down the reading. Then repeat with the other cylinder pulling the same number of times and as best you can, the same speed and intensity as you did pulling on the first cylinder. Check the gauge and write down the cylinder number and pressure you achieved. If you are considering getting that break welded I would do that first as the break may give you a bad compression reading. Rick.