1968 Johnson 6 HP help hooking up SHIP MASTER CONTROLS FROM 60'S

I have the 6HP Johnson from the 60's and I'm purchasing the Ship Master control box. Does the Tiller handle need to come off to install the throttle cable? Also i assume the shifter cable clamps directly onto the shift handle.

Do I need to fabricate a bracket to my motor to stablize the cables or is there a certain way.

Please anyone who can provide some pictures of SHIP MASTER controls hooked up to a late 60's Johnson 6HP?

:confused:

Re: 1968 Johnson 6 HP help hooking up SHIP MASTER CONTROLS FROM 60'S

back.jpgfront.jpginside1.jpginsideside1.jpginsideside2.jpg
I have the 6HP Johnson from the 60's and I'm purchasing the Ship Master control box. Does the Tiller handle need to come off to install the throttle cable? Also i assume the shifter cable clamps directly onto the shift handle.

Do I need to fabricate a bracket to my motor to stablize the cables or is there a certain way.

Please anyone who can provide some pictures of SHIP MASTER controls hooked up to a late 60's Johnson 6HP?

:confused:

If using the Ship Master Johnson remote controls from the 60's, how might one hookup the the throttle and gear cables?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You need the #49 & 50 cable locks, springs, and screws. Also the remote control 6hp adapter kit. Before you order the adapter, verify that the Johnson version is the same as the Evinrude version. No problem with the rest of the Ship Master / Simplex control, different in name only.

EDIT: No need to remove the tiller. However, you should remove the twist grip and you will find a tapered friction plug inside. Remove that and reinstall the twist grip (leave the spring in).

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 10. Remote Control, Single Motor.jpg
    10. Remote Control, Single Motor.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 0

the controls I saw on Ebay had the cables and connectors.

I will use a connect bar to my current 65HP engine for steering.

The Tiller Rubber Handle comes off and I need to find a tapered friction plug inside. Remove that and reinstall the twist grip (leave the spring in)?

Why do I remove the Tappered Plug inside and leave spring in? Also you never stated where to hook up the throttle cable or is that the spring I leave in?

TRULLY pictures are worth a thousand words... There were some threads on here with pictures but the pictures no longer work.. WTF~~!!!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

This is my boat that I'm trying to fit the 6HP kicker to. I have a jack plate but will attempt to put on the transom, but I think my transome is too thick b/c of the Dimond plate on the back.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The friction plug is in there to make the twist grip stay where you put it if you take your hand off. Not needed with remote control and should be removed because it makes the remote throttle too stiff.

I guess a picture is worth more words than I'm willing to type. Gearshift side picture is of a newer motor, but you should get the idea. Without the adapter kit, there is no place to mount the cable lock. Throttle side is already set up for simple attachment of cable lock and end fitting.

Attachments

• 6hp Remote Control.jpg
    6hp Remote Control.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 6hp Remote Control 2.jpg
    6hp Remote Control 2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1

thank you for the pictures as they helped a lot. I found the mounting kit online for 18$ but it

It seem it might be missing the "cable lock?" does it look that way? or will the shift cable mount to this somehow.

2.jpg3.jpg380293 Remote Control Adapter kit.jpg