johnson evinrude side mount trottle control can not get it back together correctly

waterdog21

Recruit
I was replacing the floor of my boat and went to disconnect all the wires and i thought it would be easier to do it from the controls then from the motor......mistake my trottle control popped out when i pulled the cover off sending parts everywhere ive got it back together and my gears are not working correctly ive took it apart and have put it back together a hundred times with the same result. I went on evinrudes website and found a diagram of it, but its mainly just of all the parts and does not really help me. im almost at the point of taking it in to the shop, but really dont have the cash. hopefully someone has made the same stupid mistake i did and can help. Thanks!

http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=pmei8o9pl8vt2ls4ujpju6o7j2&catalog_id=0&siteid=1
this is the url of the so called diagram

papachaz

Seaman
Re: johnson evinrude side mount trottle control can not get it back together correctl

your best bet would be go to ebay and see if you can find an OEM service manual, it'll be way cheaper than an hours worth of service at the shop

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson evinrude side mount trottle control can not get it back together correctl

I was replacing the floor of my boat and went to disconnect all the wires and i thought it would be easier to do it from the controls then from the motor......mistake my trottle control popped out when i pulled the cover off sending parts everywhere ive got it back together and my gears are not working correctly ive took it apart and have put it back together a hundred times with the same result. I went on evinrudes website and found a diagram of it, but its mainly just of all the parts and does not really help me. im almost at the point of taking it in to the shop, but really dont have the cash. hopefully someone has made the same stupid mistake i did and can help. Thanks!

http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=pmei8o9pl8vt2ls4ujpju6o7j2&catalog_id=0&siteid=1
this is the url of the so called diagram

Okay I tried the url that you posted and it doesn't go to any diagram for anything, but instead asks for a year model. So post some pictures of what you have and how you assembled it and see if we can figure out what is wrong. Pictures always help solving problems. Post pictures and the year, model, make, and HP of the engine the controls are connected to as well. Different years and such do have a determining factor some times... Just need more info from you... :joyous:

mattsmall1972

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you aren't able to get it back together, you might consider going with simple Morse controls (dual-lever). I did it for my 1982 Evinrude 35hp on a 16ft jon boat and *love* it.