1964 Johnson 9.5

zac11x

Recruit
I have just recently purchased a 1964 Johnson 9.5, it was only running on one cylinder. I have since changed the coil pack and it is running pretty good need to adjust low idle, trying to figure out how to get it to idle at a low rpm. But today i took the boat out and fished for a couple of hours and started the motor a few times to get to different spots. Well the last time i started it up i noticed that it was running a little rough, so i pulled the cover off and noticed that there was water spraying inside the engine compartment. Not really sure where it is comming from (it was a little rough on the water) it looks like its coming from under the pull cord spool or the back side of motor, i have been searching and can't find anything about it. I have seen something about a water jacket gasket but it was on a evinrude motor. I really hope someone can help me out with this as i am a novice to boat motors. Thanks in advance Zac

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1964 Johnson 9.5

I've heard the recoil mounting bolts do have passage to the water channels of the engine. You sound like you're on the right track. Perhaps try a search and you might find it. Best of luck. Rick.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

It is indeed coming from the recoil start, at the top where the start cap holds the starter spring in place there are (3) screws/bolts under the cap that these screws are holding in place there is where the gasket that is causing your leak resides. replace gasket coat good with gasket sealer and leek will be gonzo.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well kodibass aced it if it is coming from the top of the recoil starter. However, I get the impression from the OP's description that it is coming from somewhere below the starter. If I am reading it right, first check the pleated rubber exhaust relief / water outlet hose. If it isn't that, you have a big problem. Those motors would rot a hole through the bottom of the exhaust cover. Or the gasket may be blown, especially if it as ever been overheated. In any case, if it is related to the exhaust cover, you have to shuck the motor out of the outer shell to access it. An intimidating job for a novice.

zac11x

Recruit

thanks for the responses, i have someone who is an old outboard mechanic and am waiting to get together with him soon. The motor sat for 2yrs before i got it. i might try to put it in a tank this weekend and see if i can narrow down where it is leaking from. another question should i replace the water pump or can i wait until next year to do that? Does anyone have any ideas where i can get a service manual for a reasonable price, i heard that it is a good idea to have one and have been looking and can't seem to find one. It is a 1964 johnson 9.5 mq-10r.

zac11x

Recruit

Jimbo that is the same gasket that i ordered yesterday. I put my motor on a stand and ran it and saw where the water was coming out of and it was that gasket #68. I only see two bolts as well and if you look at the parts list it says 2 required per assembly. so i am guessing that it's only the 2 bolts. Hope that the gasket solves your problem as well as mine. Best of luck
Zac

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Your best bet for a good service manual is a factory manual.
No cheap but everyone says factory manuals are best.
Reprint factory manuals are available right here at iboats.
You may also find some on the net.
I have several aftermarket manuals they are ok but I can tell you the originals are better.

zac11x

Recruit

could anyone with this service manual help me out. I am in the process of ordering a service manual and just recieved my parts for the recoil gasket today in the mail, and i am wondering if there is a specific tightness that the two bolts need to be? hope someone can lend me a helping hand, i would like to get it in and make sure that there is no more problems with my motor and get back on the lake. Thanks alot if anyone can help out.
Zac

nwcove

Admiral

you can go to boatinfo.com, and in the appendix, you may find the torque value. it may specify those bolts or just specify torque for bolts of that size.