1957 Johnson 35hp RDE-19 upper crank bearing and seal

oldfarmall

Seaman
Hello-

Could someone tell me if the engine has to be split and taken apart to change the upper and lower crank bearings on a 1957 Johnson RDE-19 35hp?

Also, does any aftermarket company make the oil seal puller for the top crank seal? Or has someone done this without the tool. I am not to keen on using a screwdriver to pry it out, wooried aboutdamaging something else. Thanks in advance!

Are there any tricks to replacing the carbon seal on the bottom of the motor, or is it just straight forward. Do I just remove the snap ring and slide the whole works off, then install the new components and reinstall snap ring?

Jesse

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 Johnson 35hp RDE-19 upper crank bearing and seal

If you are simply replacing the upper seal, it can be done without splitting the motor. F_R on this forum actually makes the tool. I have bought one from him myself, and it works great.

The bottom one is as simple as you state. Just need a small pair of snap ring pliers. Coat in some good grease and you are done.

Here is Franks website. He doesnt show the seal puller, but he has them....I would highly reccomend all of his tools

Frank's Tools

oldfarmall

Seaman
Re: 1957 Johnson 35hp RDE-19 upper crank bearing and seal

Thanks for the reply HighTrim. My armature plate and points seemed to have an oily residue on them and the upper part of the motor as well, so I want to replace the upper crank seal before this summer. I will have to contact Frank on that seal puller. Thanks!

Jesse