1997 johnson 40 h.p. vro adjustment? Is vro shot?

sea nympo

Recruit
I have a '97 40 horse johnson. I just got it at the end of 2012 on a 16 foot sea nymph. It had been sitting for a year then. I didn't mess with it 'till a couple months ago. It was smoking real bad upon start up when I ran it in the driveway with hose. The smoking went away after a few minutes and it seemed to run fine. I put it in the water a couple weeks later and it again smoked real bad, but did not get better. It seemed to get worse so back on the trailer it went. I read a couple posts here and disconnected the oil line to vro, capped off the inlet on vro and mixed gas 50:1. Ran fine on the driveway and in the water. Just a little slower than I thought it would, 17 mph. Is there an adjustment for the vro or is it just shot? If it is shot, just what steps should I take to run with out it?

cr2k

Captain
Re: 1997 johnson 40 h.p. vro adjustment? Is vro shot?

There is NO adjustment on the VRO. Your best bet is to remove it and toss it. Then you buy a fuel pump install it and mix oil.
Every time you tilt the engine The vro will flood the carbs with oil. That is why it smokes at start up. But, as it did in the driveway, it should clean up in a few minutes. At the slightest sign of problems a VRO should be scraped. They are both your fuel and oil pump in a PLASTIC housing INSIDE the motor cover with the HEAT. Never was a good idea.

sea nympo

Recruit

Is there a kit I need to get or does the vro come off and the fuel pump just bolt on in it's place?

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My '87 50HP VRO is working perfectly-still.

They do require a bit of maintainence. Replace the sock filter in the tank, Replace primer bulb and hoses and clamps if cracked.

Make sure your warning horn is working (check owners manual for those instructions). Keep some outboard oil incase of emergency.

2 strokes will smoke-nature of the beast.

JDusza

Ensign

Hear that ticking sound? It's your VRO time bomb. Dump it and mix your fuel. Then you know.
imho
J