68 evinrude 18hp, painting a motor, came out pretty good :joyous:

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
bought this a parts motor. she has electric start. well it seems that the parts motor runs really well after some carb work and some oil in the cylinders. when i first looked at the motor, compression was 60/70. tested compression again and it went to 80/80. told the owner it was toast..
brought it home, stuck some 2 stroke oil in the slugs, gave her a few rolls. then fired her up. well it ran, but wouldnt idel. let her warm up a bit, then checked the compression. it was 120/120 so now i have i dont have a parts motor, but another project. carb needed a needle bearing and needle bushing. now it runs great! problem was the lower unit looked a little ugly / faded / bad bondo job on a repair.
so a little scotch brite work, some wet sanding. lower unit was primed, then painted, then clear coated. i used omc aluminum primer (kind of a green color) duplicolor fill in primer, duplicolor medium metallic blue (not correct but close) then dupilcolor motor clear coat.
it actually came out pretty good considering it is a rattle can job. motor is already sold, i just wanted to clean her up for the new owner. yes new ignition and reseal kit as well.

i buffed the lower name plate and gave it a few shots of clear. the top plate is still original.

you can see the color is a little off

motor compartment was really clean

dkonrai

Re: 68 evinrude 18hp, painting a motor, came out pretty good :joyous:

just a shot of the difference between a 68 and 89.

dino

kfa4303

Banned

sweet. It turned out great. did you take everything apart, or just paint it assembled? What brand/color pain did you use? It seems to match the original factory color nicely.

dkonrai

sweet. It turned out great. did you take everything apart, or just paint it assembled? What brand/color pain did you use? It seems to match the original factory color nicely.

i painted everything assembled. the key is to degrease the motor completely. i taped off the original stickers.
duplicolor sandable fillable automotive primer.
duplicolor automotive paint light blue metallic BGM0539. a better match is the medium maui blue metallic BGM0423. duplicolor automotive engine clear to finish up.
hope this helps?
dino

w2much

Lieutenant

Looks great. What about the prop and shaft?

dkonrai

prop i left o nature'al.. ahh it looks vintage :) might at least give it a white paint job and a quick sanding.

the shaft and gears are in the garage.

waiting for some stupid little seal behind the o ring on the shift shaft (my sierra kit had a seal, but the seal inside dia. was a little large) and the shift pin o ring or seal. then i can put it all back together and give it a fire. kind of looking forward to seeing how well a key start works. it pull starts really easy tho. besides the paint needs a week to cure so i wanted to paint it first, then order parts.

question,
i use 1/4 stainless allen head screws for the lower unit as i find the screws are really a pain in the buttocks. what are your thoughts?

dino