Adding tach to 87 Evinrude, cant find a harness conector to attatch to back of remote

PG

Cadet
I have seen somewhere that the tach wires are fed by a plug on back of control box. Where can i find one of the harnesses to wire up an existing tach gauge that came on the boat? I looked thru iboats but must not be putting in proper search terms to find the item...

btw, 1987 3cyl 60 hp Evinrude

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adding tach to 87 Evinrude, cant find a harness conector to attatch to back of re

Sometimes there is a three prong tach plug that connects to the control. Sometimes there are 3 ring terminals in the wiring harness. You are looking for a grey wire (sender), Purple wire (+12V accessory power) and Black wire (ground).

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adding tach to 87 Evinrude, cant find a harness conector to attatch to back of re

In searching for you, I found this one OMC Tachometer Plug Boat Wiring Harness 10 Ft | eBay Probably the cheapest you'll find one. When I was looking for one, they were silly priced wherever I saw them I admit, I ended up soldering the sending wire to a finishing nail and sticking it into the appropriate hole and electrical taping it.

PG

Cadet

In searching for you, I found this one OMC Tachometer Plug Boat Wiring Harness 10 Ft | eBay Probably the cheapest you'll find one. When I was looking for one, they were silly priced wherever I saw them I admit, I ended up soldering the sending wire to a finishing nail and sticking it into the appropriate hole and electrical taping it.

Not sure if this is what I need.... On my control just below the ignition key there is a half-moon rubber plug with 3 female wire holes. I guess Im looking for the male portion of harness with 3 wires that are then connected to tach.

In a last resort I guess I can just find some pin connectors that fit and run appropriate wires to tachometer. So I'm clear if I trace gray wire(sender) purple (power) and black (ground) from inside control it all should work. Right?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Not sure if this is what I need.... On my control just below the ignition key there is a half-moon rubber plug with 3 female wire holes. I guess Im looking for the male portion of harness with 3 wires that are then connected to tach.

In a last resort I guess I can just find some pin connectors that fit and run appropriate wires to tachometer. So I'm clear if I trace gray wire(sender) purple (power) and black (ground) from inside control it all should work. Right?

That is what you need (if you look closely at the plug you can see the half moon), but if it were me, I'd skip right to the last resort, that's what I did on my old boat that had an older style control box with no plug.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

How about stripping the insulator off some male spade terminals and shoving them into the connector. That works on my Mercury Tach connector