1970 Johnson 85HP Hydro-Electric (ESL85-70D) - Damaged Control Box

Atlanta

Recruit
I have a 1970 85HP Hydro-Electric (ESL85-70D)
The control box is damaged beyond repair as well as the wiring harness

http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=6ttbcm3rfhvqga9kt3u2v444q4&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

Is there a control box I can substitute?
Or is there an adapter that I can use?
Or any suggestions on how to control this engine is appreciated.

I have been looking for a replacement on EBay, Criagslist, Etc... No luck

Thank you
Sean

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 Johnson 85HP Hydro-Electric (ESL85-70D) - Damaged Control Box

These electric shift control boxes have been discontinued for years. If you can't find factory replacement parts (and part numbers) from the above website, you'll have to looks for used parts. You may have luck looking for a complete used box, or even indivitual parts-perhaps on ebay. If you don't see what you need on ebay, keep going back to the website every week or so. Those electric shift control boxes were for engines up through the 1972 model year. Either an Evinrude or Johnson box should work, though I prefer the simplicty of the Johnson box. (The push-botton Evinrude boxes are clumsy.) If you know a part number you need, you could put it into google and see if you get any hits. Check out marine salvage yards, such as: Boat Recyclers of Wilmington-a marine salvage company that is on ebay.

Atlanta

Recruit

Thank you everyone for the quick replies!
I have a place that says they have one that I am driving up to this afternoon.
I hope it is the right one... I will let you know.

Place is called Lanier Marine Liquidators ( Boat Broker, Used Boat Dealer: Cruisers, Fishing Boats, Aluminum, Sailboats, Yachts, Inboard and Outboard Motors in Georgia )
Named after the lake I am at.. I believe it is the largest in Georgia

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

From what I understand, that place is shady as all heck....but if they have the part you need, who cares.