6HP Fisherman...need help with cam follower adjustment and tiller/throttle setting

AlTn

Commander
Re: 6HP Fisherman...need help with cam follower adjustment and tiller/throttle settin

seems like the brp carb kit contains a new float as well...pinion is relatively cheap and just need to drive out the roll pin to replace...concerning special passageways in the carb, look at the exterior casting on the port side of the carb body. This allows fuel flow up to the idle circuit. That passage, the mixture needle passage, and the 3 or 4 small holes that exit into the back of the carb throat behind the throttle plate all need to be clean. Pop out the core plug on top of carb, just follow the idle mixture needle passage and it's at the end of it, clean that area and the small idle circuit holes. New plug goes in with the convex side up and is seated by expanding it. I use a 1/4" extension, socket end, and tap it with a hammer, but whatever does the job will work.

Plenty of posts on carb cleaning...starting point for idle mixture needle is 1 1/2 turns out from a gently seat. If everything is up to snuff with those 6 hp's they'll idle real smoothly at very low rpm.

myoung

Cadet
Re: 6HP Fisherman...need help with cam follower adjustment and tiller/throttle settin

No re-kit, just a spray cleaning before I knew it ran. Found a rebuild and float kit for 18 bucks. Pinion gear for 22 bucks. There goes another fifity!

AlTn

Commander

$22!!..seems like I paid < $10 for one about a year ago...wow

nwcove

Admiral

all ya need now is a can of spray carb cleaner, a jug of pine-sol, compressed air, and a strand of small copper wire!!! clean it, reclean it, then kit it, the carb should be good for years if stored properly.

myoung

Cadet

Pine-sol...now you have me guessin'.

nwcove

Admiral

pine -sol is an excellent cheap overnight carb soak. hit it with a can of carb cleaner through the passages, run a strand of wire through the passages, then compressed air, then soak it overnight in pine-sol. wash it in warm soapy water, hit it with the can of spray through the passages again, then compressed air. it will be as good as new.

Rick.

Captain

Pine sol is on sale right now at Canadian Tire. I'm going to get some. Rick.

nwcove

Admiral

Pine sol is on sale right now at Canadian Tire. I'm going to get some. Rick.

rofl.....saw that in the flyer too!!! $4 ....1.41 liters!!

myoung

Cadet

Do canadians have better Pine-sol?....Mine was only $2.79 @ 1.41liters:lol:

nwcove

Admiral

lol lol lol.....same pine sol.....just higher taxes!!!!

Rick.

Captain

You'd be amazed how much us Canadians pay for a lot of things. Honda says it's because there research shows Canadians can pay more. How does that make make me feel? Not so good. Rick.

myoung

Cadet

I wonder how much time I would get for smuggling Pine sol to Canada? HEHE

In a related note, the Pine sol did work pretty well. Spent about 45 minutes with a dental pick to get the packing out from the low speed port but she is clean as a whistle now! Smells nice too! Can't wait for the kit to get here. Also made repair to the cam follower with some marine and plastic epoxy putty from Devcon. Drilled a small hole thru groove to help adhesion and smoothed it on with a damp finger. Reshaped with some sandpaper, looks like it should work as original.

Question: Is there Lock-tite on the small screws that hold the throttle valve and choke valve to the shafts? I had to grind an old screwdriver to fit these screws so I could back them out. Tight the whole way out! Thanks again !

Rick.

Captain

Oh Darn. Those screws are not to be removed. They are peined over at the factory so they will never come out and get sucked into the cylinders. First carb. I ever re-built I tried taking one out on the choke. The screw broke off and I bent the shaft and had to buy a new old carb. off ebay. If you got yours off without carnage I would use loctite red when putting them back together.

Had a good laugh about your pine sol smuggling idea. Rick.

myoung

Cadet

I guess I was lucky...not my usual style! I hope I can get them restarted, will definitely use Lock-tite red.

myoung

Cadet

UPDATE... Kit installed in carburetor, repaired cam follower installed along with the broken pinion gear for the pull starter. Darn thing started on the second pull and idled! Needed minor adjustment on idle jet, and cam follower was set with flat edge aligned with cam mark. Now she idles great and the marks on the twist grip line up better. Ran motor in a tub for 20 minutes or so, I need to take her out for a ride.
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT TOOK THE TIME TO HELP. IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED !

Rick.

Captain

Thanks for sharing your good news. Congratulations on a job well done. It may need a couple of runs to get the bugs out but lets hope not. Enjoy your motor. Rick.