painting an old evinrude?

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to restore an old evinrude and I'm using zinc chromate primer. My question is, after I prime the motor with the zinc chromate? How soon do I have to paint the motor? Can I wait a week or two? Thx.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: painting an old evinrude?

Answer is there is no time limit with Zinc Chromate primer... There are time limits on some catalyst type (commonly called 2 part primers) primers but not ZC... However, before you paint your motor after spraying Zinc Chromate, you have to prime on top of that Zinc Chromate primer as well. Zinc Chromate is an adhesive to bare aluminum before using regular primers. It isn’t a substitute for other primers... It is a needed step for your primer to adhere to. So first you use ZC, then prime and paint. I used ZC, then PPG K36 catalyst primer, sanded that to a very smooth finish and sprayed PPG Shop Line base coat paint, and finished off with PPG Clear top coats... While that seems like a lot of work, the finish is amazing and so fuel/chemical proof too... You won’t have to worry about spilling fuel, oil, grease or most anything on that finish and having it bubble up or peel off...

82rude

Rear Admiral

read up here .while i suppose it doesnt hurt it is not necessary to use other primers .Supermarine Zinc Chromate Primer i dont and have never had a issue.read the info carefully its all spelled out for you and you choose.not saying your wrong GM280 ,it a choise not a necessity.

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thx. I have the green zinc chromate in the rattle can and honestly that looks like what was used on it from the factory. It is a 1958 7.5hp

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would stay away from zinc chromate due to the negative health effects it could pose to you.

Self etching primer is just as good for aluminum, and is what is used now. If you sand that zinc chromate, do it outside, and wear a mask.

I prefer to not use it at all, why would you when they have self etching primer.

Just my 2 centos.

82rude

Rear Admiral

zinc chromate is a self etching primer.says right on my can in front of me.i heard they were going to ban it but i can still get it at canadian tire so i dont know ?

nwcove

Admiral

zinc chromate is a self etching primer.says right on my can in front of me.i heard they were going to ban it but i can still get it at canadian tire so i dont know ?
yes it is self etching primer, and i use it from ct, but i only use it out doors, with a fitted and filtered mask. its nasty stuff. there are other more friendly etching primers available that do the same thing, but still wear proper ppe when painting !! jmo

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Actually I've hear that same thing about them (who ever "them" are) were banning it. But it is still available and used everywhere yet. While any spray primer (or paint for that matter) does contain toxic chemicals, used in a common sense way outside with plenty of fresh air will not be any more problematic then any other type paint... I used it on my outboard engine rebuld and it worked extremely well...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, did not word that well at all.

Zinc chromate is self etching primer by definition yes, but there are self etching primers that are not zinc chromate. That is what I meant to say anyways.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Actually I've hear that same thing about them (who ever "them" are) were banning it. But it is still available and used everywhere yet. While any spray primer (or paint for that matter) does contain toxic chemicals, used in a common sense way outside with plenty of fresh air will not be any more problematic then any other type paint... I used it on my outboard engine rebuld and it worked extremely well...

Sorry I cannot agree totally with that. The main trouble is not the application, yet the removal. Sanding zinc chromate is terrible. While all paints do contain toxic chemicals, some are much worse than others and if there are better examples, why not use them. Nothing wrong with the quality of the zinc chromate, it does work well. Just not good for you.

Same as asbestos. The stuff is an incredible insulator. However, it kills you. I know thats like apples and oranges, but my company does asbestos abatement, so it is a nasty product I have to deal with unfortunately.

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey guys thx for the advice. I actually searched self etching primer and zinc chromate is what came up? Didn't really know there were other types.