1988 Evinrude 225hp looper

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Couple of questions on this engine. About how hot should the heads get while engine is at idle. Have heard that you should be able to hold your hand on it for so long, etc...I have a digital infrared thermometer on the way and am going to check it with that.
I may just replace the thermostats anyway as motor had been used in saltwater. Just doing some preventative maintenance to it before getting it out on the lake. Having a hard time locating thermostats for this engine, anyone have some ideas on that?
Last question is what are the compression specs for this engine? I did a compression check the wrong way the other day, engine had not been warmed up and throttle was at the start position. Compression was between 95-101 psi which averaged out to 98 psi. Am going to do the test the right way tomorrow and will post those results.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Evinrude 225hp looper

About how hot should the heads get while engine is at idle.
About 135-145? till water valve on throttle is opened by increasing rpm, these head run nearly dry till 1/2 throttle....

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the lone reply! Here are the temps I recorded off the heads after idling for 10 minutes. Used an infrared thermometer. I aimed the laser dot right near the spark plug for the test. First checked the water temp coming out of pee hole, it was 128 degrees.
cylinder 1= 158 3= 165 5= 169 AVG: 164 port head
cylinder 2= 151 4= 160 6= 166 AVG: 159 stbd head
I removed the thermostats to investigate. Stbd stat didn't seem nearly as wet as the port stat. Fired engine up just briefly with stats out, good water amount at port stat side, not quite as good at stbd stat side. Went ahead and ordered some new stats anyway.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You want to measure temps at the t-stat housing..it will be hotter around the plugs due to combustion.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks, makes sense to me. Will check once I get the new stats put in.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put new stats in and idled for 10 min or so, temps at stat covers was 125 degrees both stats, I'm happy with that and the water coming out the pee hole only got warm not hot like it was before.